Saturday, July 21, 2018

I'm naming this one Potato Chips

Because nobody can eat make just one...


And I've got a bunch more triangles cut and standing by, because these are too easy to throw together.

It occurs to me that the only way I'm going to get this particular squirrel under control is to just make a small quilt and declare myself done.  (Shhhh.  It could work.)

I started assembling groups of four hourglass units with center squares of dotted b/w prints, just to see what they would look like, then laid them out on a light background.

There are two distinct ways of setting these little blocks -
this way,


and (rotated 45 degrees) this way.


Cathy (the one who set me off on this squirrel chase) is making hers like in the second photo, in what's basically an Ohio Star block.  I'm undecided which way to go.
Clearly, I need to make more blocks.  You know, just so I can make an informed decision.

I did manage to tear myself away from the potato chips long enough to make a couple of Squared Away blocks for the RSC2018 sampler.



With all the 2" squares and triangles I'm cutting for Totally Demented, it was easy to pull some bits together for these blocks.  (I'm doing the 7.5" size blocks, which in hindsight was a very sound plan!)

I still lack the pink Squared Away block, because I missed it along the way, but once I get that done I'll be all caught up.  I've loved each and every one of the blocks we've made so far this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come join the fun!


26 comments:

Kate said...

I like both setting options. Good luck on deciding on just one. Your Squared Away blocks look great, very scrappy!

Quilting Babcia said...

I like your version with the light center square/background fabric. Gives your blocks an entirely different look from Cathy's red blocks. It'll be fun watching both of these progress to the flimsy stage.

Libby in TN said...

While I'm partial to Ohio Stars, I think I prefer the sawtooth star in the second picture.

Cathy said...

I love your potato chips....Hugs

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Glad you're enjoying those potato chips! I love those kinds of projects! What are you planning for the outside corners?

Annette Mandel said...

All i can say is good luck! At least these are smaller blocks than the BS ones lol. A78mandel at yahoo dot com

The Joyful Quilter said...

I really like Potato Chips!! Especially, the Sawtooth Star version. Your RED sewing for the RSC is coming along, too.

Katie said...

Ooohhhh! I like the first layout for Potato Chips. More scrappiness. Please keep this squirrel at your house, though. I've got enough to battle at mine!

Chantal said...

Potato Chips - what a great name! I love it. I love the squirrel in the first photo best, but that's just me. Enjoy! ;^)

Sally Trude said...

Oh no! Your potato chips are so enticing! But I refuse to use a fry cooker. So I have to come up with an easier way to make them...and yup...the only solution I can come up with is to break into your sewing room and steal yours. You've been warned.

Cathy said...

Yes...potato chips! I like the polka dots. You can never go wrong with polka dots! Munch away at those scraps and before you know it you will have a big quilt. Go, Gayle, Go!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like the first layout -- what size are your finished triangles? This squirrel is knocking on my doir ...

Jayne said...

Potato chips! That is so funny and I totally get it! I am partial to the first layout, but I'm pretty sure you will pick the one that is right for you!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh, I like the first layout....hmmmm.....those potato chips might be tasty in thrifted shirting fabric......SQUIRREL!!!!!

MissPat said...

I like the first setting for the potato chips. Then I got thinking that you could use the potato chips as a border around the monkeys and kill two squirrels with one stone.
Pat

Julie in GA said...

Potato chips -- that is too perfect!
I prefer the diagonal lines of the first layout, but either way will look great!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your potato chips look so pretty in multiple colors. I can see why you can't stop at just one. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I like the first layout for the potato chips - it's more dynamic

Louise said...

I love the bright scrappiness of your chips! Of course, with scrappy, you can't go wrong with more blocks. To increase the scrappiness, you know :)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Potato Chips make sense. It does look like a fun to make. Love all the blocks so far.

Ann said...

What I like about the second one are the different sizes of the background diamonds and squares. Love these clear colors, especially that red!

Katie Z. said...

Totally Demented is a brilliant name for that quilt. I printed the pattern, and once I finish a few quilts, I’m going to start it!

Mystic Quilter said...

I lime the top setting best Gayle and I love the scrappiness!

SandraC said...

I love your Squirrel! My vote is for the first setting :)

Jo said...

Just keep making your potato chip blocks, something will come to mind. I need to catch up with Squared Away. You will catch up too.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Fun title, but it's true, eat one and you are hooked, same for piecing one of these cute blocks! Beautiful red blocks too