Friday, May 1, 2015

A sewing day

I got a sewing day worked in this week.  This is where I'd left off last time.


As you can see, I had to move off the design couch and onto the design floor.  I've got stacks and stacks of little blocks (they're 3.5 inches, btw - finishing to 3 inches) off to the left that I'm laying out like a crazy jigsaw puzzle.  I'd gotten some of the rows sewn together when I had to quit for the day.
Here's where it stands now:


I got the finished rows attached to the main body, plus assembled several more rows, and laid out blocks for even more rows.  (And I'm going to have to get a whole lot taller to take any more pictures.  I had to stand on the coffee table to get this shot, and it's already getting too big to catch in one photo.)  I've got about 5 more rows to lay out, then the main part of the top will be done.  I had a brief moment's panic when I thought that I had miscalculated and would need more blocks, but then realized that my miscalculation had gone the other way and I'll actually have a row left over.  (I love it when my mistakes work in my favor!)
Next I'll have to ponder borders.  I briefly considered making a border of mountain blocks, lulled as I was by the new tri-recs rulers.  Then I came to my senses and started thinking of other options.  Main contenders right now are a round of nine-patches on point (which I'm leaning towards, I think), or maybe nine patches bracketed by mountain blocks (sort of like <[]><[]><[]> ).  Or maybe I really will go whacky and do those mountains.  Auditions will commence once these blocks are assembled.

I've set aside those star blocks I was making, because I'm thinking about using some of them on the back of this quilt.  Maybe a row of them.  So now for leaders and enders, I'm making these blocks:


They're Hot Cross Bun blocks, which I'm going to combine with Single Irish Chain blocks ala Bonnie Hunter's Garden Party.  They're ridiculously easy to piece and only take seconds to cut out, so they should pile up fast.  I'm going to make the chains in various orange prints, and all the blocks will have an orange center.  (I've never been a big fan of orange, but lately it's been growing on me.  My youngest daughter's influence, no doubt.)
I don't know what size Bonnie's blocks are, but I suspect they're bigger than mine.  I'm using 1.5" strips to piece them with, so my blocks will finish to 5".  (Why, yes, I do like making small blocks.  Why do you ask?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the beautiful scrappiness. I'm a big fan of checkerboards on point, but mountains are good too.