Thursday, December 29, 2011

Here, Piggy, Piggy...

So I can now reveal the secret knit project, since it has been gifted to the happy recipient.
It's double-knitting again, since I seem to have been bitten hard by this particular technique. 

Behold, the Pig Hat:









A fully reversible earflap hat.  With pigs.

I designed it on the fly, since I had the wonderful idea for it way too late to actually finish it in time.  By starting with the earflaps, I was able to work out what my gauge was, and then do the calculations for the body of the hat from there.  The pigs are a re-work of some charts for a sock in the Socks, Socks, Socks book, altered from the 3 colors of the charts (meant for duplicate stitch) which I changed for 2 colors.  The stripes are just because I like stripes, and they make it easy to count rows.  I finished weaving in the last end after supper at the giftee's house, after making her hunt me up a yarn needle.  (Because I'd forgotten to bring one.  Preparedness is not my middle name...)

The recipient is my wonderful Wicked Good Stepmother - since she and my dad raise pigs, it seemed wildly appropriate.  I told her that with one side out, it shows Yorkshire pigs, and the other side is flashing Red Durocs. 

She was pretty pleased with the hat...

10 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That is one seriously "oink"some hat!
Love it!

Laurie said...

That is one very very cool hat on the fly.

Anonymous said...

Wicked cool!!

Anonymous said...

It's adorable! Nice job.

kmkat said...

Not being an aficionado of pigs, I shall defer to your breed designations. Great, great hat!

Erika said...

Aaaaaaaa so cute!!! Nice work, you're becoming the Queen of Double Knitting!

judy said...

Nothing could be cuter than that! Love it.

Lanea said...

Fantastic!

Bullwinkle said...

My sister has a sign at her place "Flying Pigs Farm" :)

Great hat (I'm not showing my sister. Despite your fab socks, I'm not sure I like double knit.)

Cookie said...

You are so good!