Sunday, December 13, 2009

A tisket, a tasket

A green and natural basket!

Today was the basket workshop I taught. Six students turned up for a lot of laughs and some basketmaking. None of them had made a basket before, so I kept the pace slow and easy, and at the end of four hours, everyone had a basket. It was interesting watching the baskets take shape, because, though we all were using the same materials, each basket came out different. I let them experiment with different widths of reed, and I'd brought natural and green-dyed reed for colors.
The most interesting thing to watch was the basket-makers themselves. The ups and downs of this-isn't-going-well and hey-that-part-was-easy were fun to see, and watching their faces as they realized that this thing really was going to turn out to be a real basket was priceless.
About midway through the process, most of them were saying, "Well, this was fun, but I don't think I'll ever make another one", but by the end of the workshop, most were making noises about what we could make next time. One even took down the name of the place I buy supplies - I think she's hooked.
I know they were happy with their creations when I pointed out that this size basket makes a lovely holiday gift, and got a universal "Unh-uh! I am totally keeping this! This basket is all mine!"

And one more bit of good - since I wove a basket right along with them as a demo, I'm that one little step closer to Christmas...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow I didn't know you were a basketmaker (too!). If I took a class from you I would be making the same comments as your students :^)

Diane said...

Nice basket you got there lady. heh.

Yup, I'm so gonna learn that one day. I've kept the names you mentioned before and will get around to it one of these days when I have an itch for something different.

Erika said...

Pretty! Of course, I'm fairly sure my cats would eat it, so I'll pass for now. But - pretty!!!

Bullwinkle said...

Ha! Erika makes me wonder how the "making of baskets" would work with Ned around ;)

Nice work (and excellent multi-tasking skills)!

Laurie said...

Sounds like SO much fun, and I do recognize the several steps of basketmaking.

Cookie said...

How cool!

Kaberge: said...

the basket I made with you (a billion years ago now) is my cat Bradbury's favorite napping place... No matter how much I move it or put things in it to detour him...

Angie said...

Your basket is so pretty! One of these days, I want to learn how for for at least one basket.