Friday, July 24, 2009

A little-known side-effect of keeping sheep

They give you gray hair. Seriously.
I was checking email at 9:30pm when I heard a commotion out the window. It's totally dark out there, so I listened a bit longer, didn't hear anything, and went back to reading.
Then Goldie started blatting her distress call. And the new little ones started blatting. Only... their blatts weren't coming from the pen.
Shit!
The only flashlight I could find was my little clip-on LED light. I grabbed it and ran out into the darkness. (Madman is out visiting his best friend, so I'm by myself here.)
Both the younglings were out in the driveway. In the dark. Crying.
Now the last time we had a sheep out, we had a devil of a time getting her back in. Even though we'd had her for several weeks at that point, she wasn't used to us yet and wouldn't come when we called.
We just got these two yesterday! I was near tears. I figured I had a near-zilch chance of getting hold of them, especially since it was dark and the LED made a really weird light. A scary light...
But I lucked out. These two are so friendly that Merlin came running up to me immediately. I hoisted him back up over the fence and into the pen. Then while I was trying to coax Onyx to me, she leaped in by herself - which showed me where the fence had drooped and let them escape in the first place.
I did what emergency fence repairs I could manage, then staggered back into the house, wobbly-kneed with relief.
All's quiet out there now.
I need a beer.

7 comments:

pacalaga said...

Oh man, I'm loving Merlin more and more. What a sweetie. Sorry about the worries, though. There's nothing worse than a pet emergency when you're there alone.

Anna M said...

Yikes! I'd much rather hear the raccoons out the window. Glad they kids are okay.

Norma said...

Oy, you poor thing. I don't suppose there's such a thing as sheep day care to give you a respite, such as I use/need with Mr. Jefferies at least once a week!!! :D

Leigh said...

Life is so much easier when your critters run toward you when they see you instead of away... except perhaps bees...

Cookie said...

Thank goodness Merlin is such a good boy.

Laurie said...

So scary, and to be alone.

Diane said...

OMG, I think you deserved more than one beer. I'd have had heart failure.