Thursday, April 3, 2008

Too tired to knit...

And that's really saying something. I don't think I've ever been this tired in my life...
My new job is working in a store that isn't open yet - so I've been assembling fixtures, painting, tagging and loading shelves with product, rearranging, then rearranging again, etc. It's actually fun, but very physical. Rumor is, we're going live next week (about a week ahead of schedule), so we're all really scrambling.
I did manage to get some fleece washed over the weekend. It's part of a Cotswald fleece I bought at Vermont Sheep & Wool year before last. I've never worked with Cotswald before, so I'm anxious to see how it spins up. Got the drum carder out the other night & carded part of what I'd washed, but my hands are so sore from various papercuts, splits, cracks, etc, that turning the handle was a real ordeal. And I strongly suspect that my hands are currently too rough to be able to spin. I'm planning to really slather on the lotion for the next couple of days so that I might be able to spin by the weekend.
I'd never used a drum carder before (used hand cards in my youth, and what a pain in the butt that was...) so I was really pleased with how fluffy the wool ended up. I'll try to remember to take some pictures, but I seem to have a permanent case of camnesia.
Hopefully the lotion-slathering won't make me too dangerous at work - I have visions of everything slipping through my fingers. Luckily, I'm working in Domestics - the sheets & comforters will hit the floor & be okay, but those ceramic soapdishes had better watch their step...

No comments: