Saturday, November 10, 2018

A Tale of Two Dots

I'm on a roll with borders lately.  Since I'm using a multi-colored dots on black background for my setting blocks for Squared Away, I jumped on this giant dots print for the outer borders the moment I saw it.


Now I've got big dots and little dots!  I'm really enjoying the contrast between all those squared blocks and all those circles in the setting blocks and borders.

Naturally I had to make a mock-up.  First I tested a narrow stop border in red,


then blue,


and then a yellow one.


I tried out pink, but disliked it enough that I didn't even bother taking a picture.  I might give lime green a test before I make a final decision. 

While I was fiddling about with the blocks, I tried out setting them with sashing and cornerstones that continued the Irish chain alternate blocks.


Naw.  I think I like the right-up-against-each-other look better.

I don't know when I'll get it to flimsy stage.  There are a couple of big projects in the pipeline ahead of this one, so I don't know exactly when I'll get it put together.  (Maybe I should plan to give it as a gift - that usually motivates me to finish things...)

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.  Come see what everyone is doing with their rainbow blocks as the year winds down.



16 comments:

Libby in TN said...

The sashing with cornerstones adds a bit of breathing room, but the blocks look great without. The border is PERFECT!

Sally Trude said...

Ahem...I know you love neutrals...so I'm curious why you didn't use a neutral narrow border because that's what you'll eventually go with. (I assume everyone knows that orange is the new neutral...)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like the red narrow border! But I like everything you make, so...:)

Chantal said...

I'm so sorry for you. Running out of orange must be so hard. I mean, you have to be running out of orange otherwise it would be the first one to audition for the stop border, right? Well, since there's no more orange left, I vote for the lime green. ;^) P.S. Love the dots!

Unknown said...

The yellow! I never pick yellow, but it gives a wonderful POP to the yellow dots!

Angie said...

Love that big dot print!! Perfect for your Squared Away!

Jennifer said...

i love your border fabric choice! and the setting blocks are great, too. if i end up finishing my quilt (instead of giving the blocks to a friend) i think i might do that and get TWO quilts!

Laura said...

Absolutely love the dot border! My vote, not that you said you were accepting votes, is for the yellow narrow border. I think it plays so well with the large dot border!

Cathy said...

The dots are perfect! I liked the red little border best - until I saw the yellow. Pop! Whatever you decide on (borders, sashing) will be great, of course. But half the fun is playing before deciding, right?

Kate said...

Love your plan for the Squared Away blocks! Those big dots are perfect for the border. My vote is for the blue for the first border, but my default color is usually blue if I can get it to work. All of them look great.

MissPat said...

I smiled when I read Sally's comment and laughed out loud at Chantal's because, of course, my first thought was, "but where is the orange?". And I do like the Irish chain effect (which I mentioned before), so like Jennifer, I may be stealing (borrowing, copying?) your idea. But I have to finish a baby quilt first.

Pat

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I think I'm partial to the red! And like everyone else, I'm wondering where the orange is!

Ann said...

Good plan to change dot sizes. The top looks better without the extended border to me, too. And each of the bright solids makes a lovely border. Have fun choosing which to use.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm loving the yellow!! However, I would need to see the lime green in order to make a final determination. Good luck with making your choice!

Kathy S. said...

Great find! I LOVE how the dot border goes with the blocks. Beautiful!

Mystic Quilter said...

I do like the yellow inner border and your outer border fabric is perfect.