Sunday, July 29, 2018

A Demented Report

I don't have much to show for this week.  Not a stitch for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. 

I did a bunch of cutting for Totally Demented, and a bunch of sewing, but since there is So Much sewing required for this quilt, it doesn't really look impressive.

Here you can see my assembly line just to the left of my sewing machine -


I grab a handful of HSTs out of the bag at the top of the photo, drop them next to the machine, then grab a light or dark 2" square and make a twosie.  Then I pair up twosies to make foursies.

Then two foursies (one light and one dark) are sewn together to make an eightsie.


Then two eightsies are joined into a sixteensie


and dropped into the bin.


I'm up to 60 blocks, out of the 256 I need.  That means I'm almost a quarter of the way there, right?

So, yay!  I'm one quarter demented already!  Onward!


Linking with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see all the scrappy fun!



15 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

That is a lot of sewing for a six inch block! I am working with 2.5” pieces and they seem small. You really like your small pieces.

But it is going to be amazing when you get it done. Keep that machine humming. And thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Mystic Quilter said...

You're a brave soul for tackling Totally Demented, it's going to be a beauty though.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is going to be a pretty quilt. Happy stitching!

Libby in TN said...

My right table extension looks like your table. I have about 1/4 of my HSTs made, but need to cut more light squares before I can make any more units. I'm still at the 4-patch stage. Definitely addictive, though.

Quiltdivajulie said...

My die arrived - want to make ONE test block soon. Like watching your process!!

Louise said...

Sixteensies! A big pile o' them! You're making great progress, which is amazing since you're ALSO making up words as you go along :)

Karen's Korner said...

What a great scrap buster project.

Chantal said...

"... and make a twosie. Then I pair up twosies to make foursies..."
As I was reading this post a song popped into my head. "The drinking bone's connected to the party bone, the party bone's connected to the staying all night long ..." hahaha! Maybe this quilt is demented but you're sure having fun working on it. Nothing demented about that. ;^)

Cathy said...

Yay! Progress toward total dementia! And who knew that could be a good thing??

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Demented would make a fabulous L&E project. And it wouldn't really feel like you making so many little HSTs

Ann said...

It will be wonderful. Slow, steady progress.

Nancy said...

That's great progress you're making, Gayle. It seems like you just started and already you're a quarter of the way finished!

So it looks like you have to be careful how you sew the triangles and the squares together. Not just any which way will do.... I admire your diligence with this quilt. It will be fabulous when finished!

Kate said...

That is a lot of stitching per block, but what a great scrap bin buster!

Magpie Sue said...

I'm finally catching up a bit with my blogging friends. You could totally be a charter member of the Squirrel Club. In fact, I'm surprised you haven't already received your official membership card!

Thanks for showing how you're handling the Demented bits. That might be helpful over here. I haven't done very many yet, got distracted by turning scrap strips into Lego blocks (and other things). I appreciate the method you've established for the madness however. :-D

Janie said...

I like your sixteensie blocks and I think they make perfect sense in an obsessive sort of way.
Really, what's not like about stacks and stacks of colorful blocks?