Saturday, February 17, 2018

As if life wasn't complicated enough...

So, this happened the other day.


I tried gluing them, but (true to my usual experience with crazy glue) just ended up gluing my fingers together, and at one point had the frame of one piece glued to my thumb.  (I also ended up with glue in one eyebrow and I can't even begin to figure out how that happened.)
I finally gave up and asked my dad for help.  He held the parts together while I tried to squeeze some glue. 
"Just a drop," he kept saying - "Just a drop!
"Dad, I can't see it without my glasses..."

Unfortunately (but not unexpectedly), the repair was impossible, since the bridge piece is just too thin to hold together with glue.  I'm overdue for a new prescription, so I'll be off to the eye doctor, but the earliest appointment they had wasn't for a couple of weeks.

So, cheap Walmart readers to tide me over.  Far from perfect, but at least I can read a computer screen.  (I just have to remember to take them off when moving around - the vertigo gives me nausea.)
I'll probably take another stab at fixing my real glasses, now that I can actually see them again.  Some kind of splint across the bridge, to fasten the halves to...  Yeah, that could work...
Wish me luck!








10 comments:

Nancy said...

Yeh, it's not bad enough that glasses break, but even worse when vision without glasses won't let you repair them. That's happened to me, except it was a screw and not a break across the bridge of the glasses. I'm so sorry, Gayle. Maybe the optometrist will have a cancellation and you'll be able to get in earlier? One can hope.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh no! Speaking as someone who cannot get out of bed without putting glasses on - I feel your pain! Hope you don't have to live too long without some new ones.

Libby in TN said...

I'm like Nancy, trying to put that little screw back in without your glasses on is impossible. I had a screw pop out on a cruise but thankfully it fell into my mouth (and I didn't swallow it). So we went down to the jewelry shop and asked the guy to fix it for me. I now carry a repair kit in my travel bag, along with the last pair of glasses in case something happens because I'm useless without them.

Sally Trude said...

I'll take your post as a personal warning message. I need my glasses to see, but have reached the point where they hinder close-up vision. This means I take them on and off a lot...putting them at more risk. Especially because I caught Buddy chewing on them...

Judy said...

My older brother and the 50s - His glasses wouldn't last 2 weeks until the bridge was taped with that white medical adhesive tape. Most of his school pictures had the taped glasses look. Good luck with the repair job!

Quiltdivajulie said...

ACK!! I am utterly lost without mine (literally lost as in I cannot see where I am). Glad the readers offer some help while you wait for the new real ones.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I'm glad you are able to use reading glasses until you get the real glasses. I wouldn't be able to. I think duct tape would work to keep your glasses together until the appointment.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Oh no! It's crazy that you can't get in for an exam sooner--that's a long time to go without your glasses! I've had lens implants so I don't need glasses any longer, but for some explainable reason I still have about five pairs of prescription glasses that I will never be able to wear again. Does that make me a hoarder?!? ;-)

Cathy said...

Oh my! I've had that happen and taped mine sort of. Then found out the bifocal area and prism in the lenses weren't aligned right or something and it made me nauseous and dizzy. At any rate I had to miss work, darn it.

Gosh, you have to wait for appt and then I supposed you will have to wait for the glasses after that? You poor girl!

Kate said...

Oh that is annoying! Hopefully you were able to jury rig your broken pair.