Saturday, January 30, 2016

Wrapping up the blues

Well, this is the last Saturday in January, so time to wrap up those blues.  I've had a busy month, what with my big Twinkle star quilt, plus Allietare which is still inching along.

And the blues - first step in the Rainbow.

Starting with my favorite blocks:


 Ah, the piglets.  My beloved little porkers.  My goal was to make a piggy a week.  Apparently there were eight weeks in January this year.  That's the only explanation for this plethora of pigs.

And speaking of beloved, there are my kaleidoscopes.




There would be more of those, too, if I hadn't locked away that kaleidoscope ruler to save me from myself.  Not that I obsessively jump down rabbitholes or anything.  Ever.

And another favorite block - Chantal's Pinwheel.  (She and I did some research looking for the real name of this block, but couldn't come up with anything better, so I'm going to continue to call them Chantal's Pinwheels.)


I only got three of them made in blue, so I threw in a green one for the sake of symmetry.

And these little funsies:  Jacks in Sixes or Hovering Hawks - a block with many names.


And again I just made three of these and threw in a green for balance.   Huh.  I wonder if this is becoming a thing with me...

Well, these stars seem to be blue, though I'll admit the top one does have some greenish sympathies.


And here's the whole kit 'n kaboodle, all in their bins.  (Except for those on the extreme right, which are all stacked together because I ran out of bins.  The Twinkly-bits bin will be freeing up soon, as I finish the piecing, and I may be able to recycle a couple more.  Binless blocks are so sad...)


I didn't get any Hope of Hartford blocks done this month.  I'll see what happens next month with them.  If I catch them up, fine, if not then there's always next year.

Now I'm ready for a new color.  Bring on that rainbow!




Linking with ScrapHappy Saturday at So Scrappy, because that's where the rainbows gather.  Come see!








20 comments:

Cathy said...

What a lot of scrappy (and organized) goodness. I can't pick a fav. I like them all.

kmkat said...

It blows my mind that you can just sit down and make whatever block you happen to feel like. None of that feeling that this scarf/sleeve/sweater has gone on forever and will it just finish, ffs. Oh, and you used one of my favorite words: plethora.

The Joyful Quilter said...

NO FAIR!!! How did you manage to get EIGHT weeks of piglets in January? I feel like I only had three weeks to work with this month! :P

scraphappy said...

Bins of blocks. So many future quilts in the works! Good thing January had so many weeks, it let you get so much done.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Wow I love all of these including This Little Piggy Went to Market and Came Home Doubled :)

Raewyn said...

Yummy projects!!! You've done some great scrap busting this month... those Kaleidoscope blocks look great - as do the little porkers - what fun :-)

Chantal said...

Really? Eight weeks in January? I must have slept through a few lol. You crack me up girl! Too funny! The last picture knocked me off my rockers. Wow! So many projects, too many ... together ... I ... can't ... compute ... must... close ... eyes...
If I pull out all my UFOs I'll fret myself into a panic attack at the amount of work calling my name. I just don't know where to start and mix the fabric up or the size and ... I just can NOT function. You amaze me! Great job!!;^)

Edith said...

Wow, you accomplished a lot in blue, I particularly like the piggies and your kaleidoscope blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have such a great variety of blocks! It's always fun to see what you've been up to each week. I really like those pinwheel blocks - I can see why they would be addicting!

Sally Trude said...

Yup. It's official. You have contracted the Cathy virus. Congratulations!

PeggyinNO said...

OMGosh! You crack me up! What a great post! So glad you started off the post with my favorite piglets!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Wow. Lots of beautiful blocks. I am not much of a piecer so I am in awe!

Dasha said...

No wonder you are hesitating about the Scrap Dance Mystery!! Awesome bunch of piecing you have done. Love the stars, love the piggies, and Chantal's block too. I watched her making them last year, and thought they were great.

Mystic Quilter said...

Gayle - do you ever sleep??? You amaze me with all your projects - good for you.

Angie said...

Holy Piglet! You've had a great month of blue blocks!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Oh oh I think you stole some weeks from some other people. Not me - I've mad my normal fill. I really enjoy seeing the variety of beautiful blocks you are making. I too like to work on a variety of projects to keep me interested.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Those little piggies look great together!

PaulaB quilts said...

You've got some wonderful blues done. In your next post the Twinkle quilt is spectacular. I love the blocks and the small joining stars. Congrats on a great job.

Jennie in GA said...

Oh my goodness!!! Did you come up for air at all in January? What an incredible bunch of blocks. And the Twinkle Star quilt is...well, stellar!

Kate said...

I love you photo of your bins of blocks. Your piglets are very fun and I had a peek at your Twinkle Stars quilt. Gorgeous! You made good use of your time this month and have lots of bright, bold, and beautiful blocks to show for it.