Monday, January 11, 2016

This is my 365 quilt and my other 365 quilt

For reasons that are completely mystifying to me, I've got not one, but two Every Single Day All Year Long projects going on this year.  For a person who isn't much of a joiner, I seem to be joining a lot of things.

Here's the first 10 days of my 365 Challenge -


As of today, I've got two blocks to make to catch up (there's the International Dateline thing involved here, which makes me always a day behind somehow), but since they're 3" blocks, they only take a couple of minutes to make.
I've always wanted to make a quilt in a red/blue/brown color scheme, and I've decided that this is the one.  These blocks will form a dark ring around the central medallion, so I've had to pull the darkest fabrics I have.  (And in the process, I've discovered that I tend to buy a lot of mediums.  That explains why I had to make a particular effort to get enough neutrals/lights for Allietare.  I've been unconsciously shying away from both ends of the light/dark spectrum, and just shopping in the middle.  Now that I'm aware of this, I can fix it!)   The lightest fabrics called for in these blocks is a medium, though medium-darks are encouraged.  It's interesting working with what is, for me, a limited color palette, and going for low contrast out at the dark edge.  Very different than the way I normally work.

And my other 365 is Quilty 365, which I'm also keeping up with.  (Hey, I can keep up with anything for 11 days.  Lets see where I'm at along about the middle of July...)
I sewed together the first 8 blocks - the top row, starting at the left with New Year's Eve 2015.  (I started Dec 31st rather than Jan 1st, just to be contrary.)


And here's this week's effort.  The split orange peel in the middle of the bottom row is a chunk leftover from a kaleidoscope block I made over the weekend.


But after thinking about how I want to eventually set the blocks, I've decided to unstitch the last block and sew it on a whole different side.  Because I want to start the quilt in the center and sew the blocks out in a spiral.  My math indicates that if I make the first bit 7 squares long, then turn and go back the other way, the whole thing will work out nice and even.  (I'll diagram it out if anyone's interested.)

The only question now remaining is:  shall I go clockwise or counterclockwise?

I gotta admit there's a whole lot of appeal in going widdershins.  It's way more fun to say...





Linking to ScrapTastic Tuesday over at Mrs Sew and Sow.  Come see some great scrappy action!





13 comments:

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Yes go widdershins! : )

Chantal said...

Interesting colour scheme: blue, red, brown. Now where have I seen one like that lately? Oh yes, on my design wall. I am serious!
Working outside the comfort zone is always more fun. I love what you got so far. Not sure I understand the widdershins thing but you've really got my attention. Sounds so interesting. Love the suspense! ;^)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I've always admired those quilts with a whole bunch of blocks, trying to figure out how anyone managed to make something like that - and now I know. They make a little each day. Both of these quilts are lovely- and I am still trying to avoid the temptation of doing the medallion one. What a great idea to start in the center and work your way out on the "circle" quilt. I sewed my blocks together and am going to have a hard time photographing them, but making a medallion out of the circles would certainly make it easier to photograph!

SandraC said...

I had to look up the meaning of widdershins. What a cool sounding word! I'll have to drop it into the conversation with my very Scottish husband and see if he is taken aback, lol ! I think you should work widdershins just because it's fun to say!

kmkat said...

Definitely widdershins. It seems to me that that is the more interesting design choice, kind of how odd numbers of object is visually more interesting than even numbers.

Kimberly Smith said...

Oh! The orange peels really inspire me! I hadn't joined in because the circles weren't doing it for me, and it hadn't occurred to my slow brain to do a different shape (derp, derp). But orange peels I could love! Now I want to get caught up. May I blatantly steal your idea? I'd be posting in the linkups too. If you'd rather not at least I have the idea to be different and will choose yet another shape...triangles? lol. Only with your permission though on the orange peels. That is going to be a stunner when done. gregkimsmith at yahoo dot com

Nicky said...

I first came across the term widdershins in a children's story by Diana Wynne Jones! Always go the unexpected way I think! Will be lovely either way! Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I vote counterclockwise... just because I like to go against the grain

Cathy said...

I like the limited color palette of the first quilt. So far it looks luscious.

And the widdershin quilt?... great idea for a layout and a quilt name. It seems almost like I'm saying a cuss word but not. Oh, Widdershins!

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

Ya got me. I had to look up widdershins. ..." in a direction contrary to the sun's course, considered as unlucky; counterclockwise." I'd ignore the unlucky part of the definition. Your quilt will be lovely. And look how lucky I am. I just learned a new word!

Anonymous said...

Yup I say go widdershins! The scrappy orange peels are so fun

Anonymous said...

Yup I say go widdershins! The scrappy orange peels are so fun

Libby in TN said...

Counterclockwise... just coz you're always a bit counter ...