Friday, January 22, 2016

Starry starry pig...

One of my goals for the RSC this year is to make one piglet a week from the chosen color, since I'm looking for about 48 of these pigs for my finished quilt.



So naturally I made two more this week, bringing my four week total up to seven, with a week still left in the month.   At this rate, I'll end up with enough piglets to make a quilt big enough to cover the house.

Eh.  I'll worry about it in October.  Or August if the piglet stack is too high.

Though there may be some cross-contamination between Piglet Fever and Kaleidoscope Flu.  Because the kaleidoscope blocks seem to be piling up, too.


That's three more for My Other Kaleidoscope, bringing that total to seven as well.


It has belatedly occurred to me that I might be enjoying these blocks just because they're blue and purple, which is a color combination I've always liked.  Possibly I'm just making a blue and purple kaleidoscope quilt.  I'll know better a few more colors down the road.   (Note to self:  vacuum the design wall floor at earliest possible opportunity.)
The centers of these blocks are a real clusterfluffle.  Too many seams with too many seam allowances colliding in one small spot.  Some blocks manage the meet-up better than others.  On a couple, I farted around, ripping the seam and resewing (some blocks more than once), and found that the centers turned out pretty much the same, whether I farted or not.


So, know what?  I don't care any more.  If they're too bad, I can always color in the center with a Sharpie...



Linking with ScrapHappy Saturday as soon as the link goes live.  Come see all the RSC fun!

25 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Sorry, I just can't love the piglets like I did the monkeys. Kaleidoscopes, on the other hand ...

Mystic Quilter said...

What a hoot of a post, sounds like you're totally overrun with piglets and kaleidoscope blocks at your place. What size are your kaleidoscope blocks Gayle? Oh by the way my Mostly Manor fabrics arrived today so guess what I'm starting on Monday!

Judy said...

So call them asymmetric kaleidoscope blocks and then it becomes planned!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am looking forward to the next RSC color so I can sew up another pig. I am holding at one a month. Love the plaids in your kaleidoscope blocks!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Great starry pig! I've seen pictures of house quilts - they look nice and keep the house warm I usually make my blocks wonky / liberated on purpose, so they don't have to be perfect..

Julierose said...

Love your little piggies--the 2nd one uses that Japanese fabric that I have been hoarding..."This little piggy went to market, {but} this little piggy stayed at home" it is snowing and blowing ouside--hopefully we won't have a power failure...hugs, Julierose

Ellen said...

Sometimes a block just wants to be whatever it is and no matter how much you fuss with it the results are the same. I am so glad you got to stop farting though! ;)

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Your blocks are great! Love the piglets!

scraphappy said...

Covering the entire house in a piglet quilt sounds like a fabulous plan. Enjoy!

Angie said...

The wonky centers are not the first thing that jump out from the Kaleidoscope blocks, so I say they've passed the galloping horse test. Great blocks, all!

Quilter Kathy said...

HA! That made me laugh... colour in with a sharpie... what a great idea!
You are so creative!

Cathy said...

Love your delightful posts! And who cares about the clusterfluffles? If they look fine as you ride by on a horse, that's plenty good enough! Great blocks, as usual!

Turid said...

So fun pigs. Looking forward to seeing them in all colours.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

The piglets are cute but did you find a free pattern for the monkey?

PaulaB quilts said...

I can see the future in your house could be a horde of terrified piggies being blown hither and yon when all those windmill/Kaliedescope blocks start whirling at once. They will be sucked down the rabbit holes in the off-kilter centers and having tea with Alice. What a party!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think you can call those kinds of things that happen when ponts don't come together "organic!" That's how I describe my "straight line" quilting - it's definitely organic! I'm enjoying your piglets and kaleidoscopes! Those blue and purple kaleidoscopes would make a pretty quilt without adding any other colors!

Sally Trude said...

You're going to have to stop saying such nice things to your piglets. One of them has stars in his eyes.

Cathy said...

I always love the little piglets. (I love bacon too).

I used to fart a lot when I started making kaleidoscopes too. I found out you need to cut accurately on the center end of the wedge so you have 1/4 inch in there. Then when you sew wedges together make sure to sew down thru the pointy edge. Then when you sew the two halves together you can sew through the x kind of like you do on HSTs. Ok...so maybe I need to show some photos of what I'm talking about some day. My first kaleidoscope was 12 inch block made up of 6 1.5 inch strips in each wedge. That way you couldn't tell if you were off a little.

Chantal said...

Love the rock star piglet so cute!! Someone said to me "If you can't see the mistake when flying by on a galloping horse, it's not worth fixing it". Anyway, just passing some wise word along. Enjoy! ;^)

PeggyinNO said...

There could never be too many piglets!! Those are so darn cute!!
I wouldn't worry too much about the seams meeting in the middle. Once they are put in the quilt, they won't be as noticeable! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Kate said...

Fun, fun piglets. They will make a very cute quilt or two. I like you attitude about the Kaleidoscope blocks. You will probably get better the more blocks you make.

Ivani said...

I bet you will have blocks for two piglet quilts!! So fun, love them.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lint rollers work superbly on design walls . . . easier to grab than the vacuum cleaner and a lot less noisy.

Loved the post!!

Sheila said...

FUN post! My thoughts exactly when dealing with multiple points coming together and the resulting struggles of those seam allowances. When they are turned into a quilt, they all look better after a go in the washer and dryer. Looking forward to seeing those cute piglets come together in a quilt(s). Love all your blocks. You go girl.

kmkat said...

"Clusterfluffle"!