Friday, January 15, 2016

Rainbow Roundup

So there I was, minding my own business (and how many times has that been the lead-in to me getting myself into trouble?  Clearly I should stop 'was'-ing and minding my own business, because it drops me down rabbitholes...)
Anyway.
I was catching up on some blog reading when I found this post from Linda at koka quilts.  Now I was all about being in love with kaleidoscopes, after seeing Cathy's (and more here)  (and I could keep linking for another hour - she made a whole bunch of gorgeous blocks!) (but I won't, because I want to finish this post) (eventually), and I still am in love with them.  I've got two done so far:


and I have dreams of making lots and lots and lots more.
But seeing Linda's made me go 'whooo' and have to fan myself.  Go look, if you haven't already.  Seriously, go.
So I grabbed some 2" strips in blues and blue-ishes and purples and purple-ishes (a thousand thanks for the accent color, Angela!!) and started stitching.
I was only going to make one block, of course.  Maybe two.  Just to see what it would look like.


Because I'm already making a kaleidoscope quilt for RSC.


So I made a couple of blocks.


 And, you know.  A couple more.  Because there I was.  With that ruler and all.


Ahem.
And I really like the first kind of kaleidoscopes, where there are two colors alternating in the block.  And I really like this second kind, too, with multicolors in each block.
So, you know how I'm making my 365 quilt and my other 365 quilt?
Now I seem to be making my kaleidoscope quilt and my other kaleidoscope quilt.
I'm not entirely sure why this keeps happening.  I may have some self control issues.

Speaking of self control issues, I made some more piglets.  (Who just laughed?)


Just because he isn't plaid is no reason not to love him.  He's a perfectly respectable pig.

And he has a couple of little friends.  They're not rainbow piglets, though.


But they are plaid...


I'll be linking with ScrapHappy Saturday at So Scrappy.  Rainbows galore!
 
And special thanks to Sally T for designing the Perfect Piglet.  I think it's my favorite pattern ever!







20 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...


Lovely blocks - kaleidoscopes and piglets! You and Sally are going to be over run before long. I'm another one about to begin a kaleidoscope with fabric ordered from the new Mostly Manor range by Victoria Findlay Wolfe (should be here Monday I think). I love this block and have made a few in the past but this one will have a different feel with my choice of fabrics the time.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am so glad I am not the only one who starts quilts on a regular basis! I am loving all the playoffs you are sewing with lately. The Orange pig is my new favorite :)

Katie Z. said...

I'm glad you have no self control about starting new projects. I can enjoy your new starts without any of my own!

Chantal said...

Sorry Gayle, I'm the one who laughed. I read your other post and was surprised to see no pigs got into it. It was hinding in this post lol. It's very cute.
Now, I am confused. How many kaleidoscope quilts are we talking about here? :^D
Enjoy! ;^)

Alison V. said...

Those piggies are just too cute!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray! for TOTAL lack of self-control. :P Keep having SEW much fun with the RSC!!!

Kate said...

It was a very productive drop down a rabbit hole. All those kaleidoscope blocks are beautiful. The piggies are pure fun!

PaulaB quilts said...

Your piggy does not have to be plaid. It is, after all, blue and that is what counts. He/she is a real cutie pig. Kaliedescopes fascinate me. I've never made the block, but I bought a Ricky Tims book on sale and have great ambitions for the future of Kaliedescopy ??

Sally Trude said...

You're way too easy to please.

Deb A said...

I think I'm with Katie and I'll let you handle the 'no self control' and start all these wonderful projects! Your piglets are lovely and the kaleidoscope quilt(s) are looking good.

scraphappy said...

New blocks are always so tempting! Beautiful additions to your collection this week.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I love the kaleidoscope blocks too. I have the two color kind - yep still a UFO, but not the multi colored kind. so tempting...

Jennie in GA said...

Love your post....it makes me smile. I recognize that rabbit hole ;-). Loving the Kaleidoscope blicks especially.

PeggyinNO said...

I'm sorry, I can't seem to stop laughing!! :-)). Those are the cutest pigs ever!

Kaja said...

Total lack of self control seems to be working just fine for you and I like all your blocks. Only one piglet quilt on the go though - are you missing something there?

Quilter Kathy said...

LOL totally hilarious... I also may have some self control issues! LOL
Thanks for the smile today!
Love the blocks... they make a great scrap quilt!

Angie said...

Great kaleidoscopes! And piglets! It's going to be fun watching these blocks take over your life!

Ivani said...

it seems that those pigglets are addicting!! Great kalesidoscope blocks

Ellen said...

The kaleidoscope blocks are wonderful. I can see the reason why you got pulled into making 2 quilts! ;)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Self control in the quilt studio? Are you serious? I am clearly in DEEP trouble if that is true . . . (loved this post - and love your piggies and k'scopes - all kinds)