You may have noticed that while there's been a lot of chatter about garden parties and kindle bags and swap quilts, there's been remarkably little said about Katie's Star Patch quilt.
I like to think it was simmering. Or resting. Or maybe vacationing.
I'd gotten the narrow light strips sewn around the perimeter of the star patch section, then set it aside. 'Just for today,' I told myself. But several days passed and I didn't touch it.
It finally occurred to me that I was scared. Scared of not being able to make it work, scared of ruining that 'perfect' border fabric by repeatedly being off in my calculations and cutting it wrong. Scared of whatever.
I took myself firmly in hand, laid out the quilt, and grabbed my measuring tape.
Measured across the quilt top edge, bottom edge, and middle. The three measurements were within 1/4 inch of each other, which I found remarkable.
Not even close.
I measured again. Figured again. Came up with the same answers. There was more than a full inch difference between what I had and what I should have had.
I heard a muttered "Told ya so", but was unsure which side of my brain it came from - Right or Left.
"Don't start," I grumped.
I pulled a Scarlett O'Hara ("I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.") and walked away from it.
The next day I got the same measurements, the same sums, quotients, and differences.
Just do it.
By My Calculations 2.3.2, the side borders should be cut 1.75" wide, and the top and bottom borders 2" wide. Deciding not to go there, I cut all four at 2" wide, crossed my fingers, and sewed them on.
Right Brain and Left Brain both cleared their throats at this point. I stuck my fingers in my ears and went "la la la." Then I held my breath and pinned on the first border. It fit. I sewed the seam, and it still fit.
That was the top one. Imagine my surprise when the bottom one fit, too.
Now for the sides. I laid the quilt top and the border out on the floor.
Huh. That looks like it's going to work.
Can this be happening?
I sewed it on. Not a single problem. Perfect fit.
So this means that the fourth one is going to be a disaster, right? No way am I getting off this easy. Long time readers have been watching me fall face-first into puddles of my own making for years.
But border number four went just as smoothly as the first three.
Now at this point, I could buff my fingernails on my shirt and say, "Oh, yeah, it's all because I'm awesome and totally know what I'm doing," but I'd just start giggling and spoil the whole effect.
This was sheer luck.
Total and complete luck,
'bordering' on the miraculous... (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
One more border to go, but it's just a matter of deciding how wide to make it and sewing it on around the outer perimeter. No calculations needed.
Right Brain and Left Brain will be so disappointed.
And, linking to Oh, Scrap! Because that's where the fun is at...