Now for the borders.
Which means I'm at a point where I'm actually going to have to think.
Last time I said I'd tried some practice border layouts, and shared this one with you. (Sunbeam extra. Void where prohibited.)
I also experimented with a bunch of other ideas, involving both the nine patches and the mountain blocks. In all my experiments, I first laid down a light color strip in order to float the patchwork. I plan to use lots of different lights for yet more scrap-happiness.
I tried various combinations.
Mountains facing out
and mountains facing in.
Mountains combined in various ways with nine patches, with and without narrow dark borders thrown in.
That last one has possibilities...
Today I got down to some heavy duty playing, what with finishing all that patchwork. This is getting serious now.
This might be the one...
or maybe this variation of it...
with another dark (ish? narrow?) border around the outside, and a dark binding. Or maybe an orange binding, though the back is going to be mainly orange, so I'm thinking a different color for the binding might be nice.
Sing out with whatever you're thinking. I'm always happy to get some input. I'll be taking a few days to make a decision - after all this time, I'm not going to rush into anything hasty!
And with all those blocks being sewn together, I had ample opportunity for leaders-enders. (I assemble one row at a time. I've tried multiple rows simultaneously, and the time I spent second-guessing whether I was making a mistake or not made the whole enterprise less time-saving than it should have been. One at a time may not be the most efficient way, but it works best for me.)
So, in amongst building more blocks, I puzzled out how to piece the side triangles.
And the blocks keep piling up!
When I started the project, I intended to just make enough for a throw - something to cuddle under in a chair by the woodstove. But the blocks are so much fun to make that I'm having a hard time stopping. I'm starting to worry that I'll end up with a house cozy...