Saturday, April 7, 2018

It seems like forever...

In the spirit of catching up -

Though I didn't get much done for March's RSC light green sewing, I'm trying to do better with April.  So far, all I've got is a block for Squared Away, but hey, I'll take it!


When I went to save that picture, I noticed that I only had photos of the January and February blocks for Squared Away - no March.  Now I'm trying to remember if I even made that block.  (March was one of those 'the days are just packed' months)  This is further complicated by the fact that the Jan and Feb ones have disappeared into some sort of safe place.  (You know, that "I'll just put these in a safe place" so you don't lose them?  Yeah, that one.)

I took a moment to play with Libby's Mystery - I'm way way behind on that one.  The reveal is really interesting, and I'm going to sit down with all my bits for some big fun.  She also gave us a really intriguing bonus block that I'm eyeing with great interest.


My big push right now is Sea of Tranquility for my granddaughter.  I'd done the math for the number of blocks I needed, both for a good-sized quilt and for a wimpy-chickenout-can-this-be-big-enough-please quilt.  Last time I counted, I was still quite short of the number of blocks that I needed for the wimpy one, and was feeling guilty about even considering settling for the smaller version.  That resulted in the project going back into its box while I chided myself.  It's really a struggle for me to work with a limited colorway - this Storm at Sea pattern I'm making is all just blues, greens, and blue-greens, and while it's probably good for my soul or something to work outside of my comfort zone (my comfort zone being the use-all-the-colors zone), it's damn hard.   And since there was no real deadline, I could just blow off my foot-dragging.
Periodically I've pulled out components and pieced more bits and stuffed them back into the box without counting.
I finally decided that my desire to make the quilt was stronger than my desire not to work with the limited colors, so I pulled it all out and started counting the blocks I had finished.


And woohoo!  I found that I'd pieced enough blocks that I'd blown right by the wimpy count and was just short of what I need for the size I actually want to make!  I spent a good part of today making more diamonds and squares, and enjoying the process again.
Next thing I know, I'll be crawling around on my design floor, laying out the blocks.
Dithering about setting triangles can't be far behind!

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday, and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come join the fun!



14 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

oooh your yellow block looks just like an avant garde daffodil...so perfect for april!

Angie said...

Yeah, I have those "safe places", too. Always excited when I find a long-lost project, usually when I'm cleaning and re-organizing. Looking forward to seeing the all blues & greens project!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think we all have put things in those "safe" places! Here's hoping you find those blocks at just the right moment! Your Squared Away block looks great, and you're on the way with Libby's mystery (I'm making those slowly, too). I'm looking forward to seeing your granddaughter's quilt!

Chantal said...

If it's any help, that's more yellows than I have worked on. Love the mystery quilt blocks' possibilities. You're gonna have so much fun with that quilt. Glad to hear your mojo is back on for the Sea of Tranquility. Can't wait to see the progress on that one as I love SAS. I rarely feel like sewing lately. Don't know what's going on with me. Enjoy your sea voyage! ;^)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I really do like that top block!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Great yelloww block! sorry about your missing other blocks ;) Yes, I have this spot too...

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are ahead of me. I haven't even gotten fabric together for my squared away blocks.

Blocks get tucked away in my sewing room too. Sometimes finding them later is a great discovery. Sometimes not so much :)

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Cathy said...

You can do it!!! Sea of Tranquility will be finished in no time and granddaughter will love it.

Yes, I have safe spaces too. And that's how the orphanage and parts department usually get their inventory.

Oh, and welcome back.

Kate said...

Apparently March was just a bad month for getting much done in more places than just my sewing room. Congrats on being so close to having enough blocks to piece the flimsy.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for falling back in "love" with your problem project. I struggle with limited palettes, too (unless there is a VERY good reason).

Mystic Quilter said...

The 'safe place' option is always a minefield!! I have spent untold hours looking for something hidden away in that place. Love your oranges in the block.

Sally Trude said...

What a nice sunflower, I mean squared away block. The problem I have when looking for things I put away, is that I find a lot of other things too, and then they are no longer put away.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You knocked your YELLOW Squared Away block out of the park and those Libby blocks are GORGEOUS!!!

LA Paylor said...

Hi Gayle
I sure like your mystery blocks. How interesting to combine the simple elements into such a fabulous interesting block. LeeAnna