Sunday, November 12, 2017

Jacks and Nines and Split Rail Fences

Despite my plans to get some more RSC sewing done this week, I got precious little accomplished.


This Jacks and Sixes block is all I have to show for this month's dark neutrals.  At least it's a friendly block - check out that cheery 'hi' in the center.

I did get a few more nine patches assembled for the cornerstones of my Burgoyne Surrounded quilt.   At some point I need to figure out how many I need, but since there's no such thing as too many nine patches, I'm not too worried about it.



And in the general category of projects I'm not starting, these split rail fence blocks appeared.  This is Bonnie Hunter's newest leader/ender SAL, and I've been intrigued by the blocks since she first suggested them.


I had tried to stay focused on sewing the checkerboards together in the same way, but look at the one on the left.  I was kicking myself and looking ahead to a session with the seam ripper.
But wait...


When I set the blocks next to each other to see how they'd look, this is how they'd look:


 Huh.


So, I grabbed that 'wrong' block and tried it instead.


That's better.  And good to know this early in the game.  Imagine if I was months down the road with a couple hundred identical blocks.
You would have been able to hear the swearing from orbit, I'll bet.


Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday (late again!), and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see what everyone is up to!



18 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Looks like what you thought was a mistake was exactly the right thing to do! I love when that happens!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great scrap usage going on at your house! Lucky you, catching that mistake in the checkerboard pattern. Whew!

Chantal said...

So happy you caught that non-mistake before the seams ripper got to it. You did more RSC blocks than I did this time around. Because I am not there yet. Love the telephone fabric. I think Jack wants to say "Hi" to someone, lol. Enjoy! ;^)

Judy said...

Smile - And just so you know there are left and right pinwheels and stars, too. (We won't discuss how many I made before I figured that out!) I'm glad you discovered you 'need' left and right checkerboards.

Sally Trude said...

Thanks for the warning! Although maybe the reverse is the leader and ender for next year? And the potential from the checkerboard makes that project quite enticing.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Good to find that out now! Did the instructions not say anything? Love the little 9patches!

Julierose said...

Love how the BH checkerboard rails is coming...I have been in a sewing funk--nothing looks good to me that I have going...am thinking I need some mindless strip sewing to get me going...hugs, Julierose

Cathy Tomm said...

Great blocks. I love the rail fence checkerboard.

PaulaB quilts said...

Talk about the little things making a difference! Now you can be on your way to a fun time with those blocks making an overall design. Go for it!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I would have a hard time keeping track of which configuration I need to sew. And then would end up making enough blocks for two quilts :)

I think the checkerboard is going to look great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Angie said...

Ha! I like your idea of never having too many nine patches! I guess I should start making some for my BS quilt.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It's always nice to have things work out in the ends.

Mystic Quilter said...

How is the Burgoyne progressing? I obviously missed a post when Bonnie Hunter came up with another leader/ender, probably just as well as I haven't finished the tumblers she once set for that sew along. However, I love your split rail blocks and maybe could keep them in mind for another day!

Cathy said...

I have some of those blocks you call Jacks and Sixes but scrappier and they are called Tennessee at Quilter's Cache. http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TennesseeBlock.html
At one time I was going to make them for RSC project. Thanks for the reminder. I really like that block.

I like the checkered version of rails but I had already been working on rails for an RSC project before Bonnie came up with the checkered version so will just stick with my plain old ordinary ones but I do like that checkered version. Good luck with orientation thing.

Looking forward to your BS.

mangozz said...

I almost made the same mistake you almost made. Then when I re-read Bonnie's directions, I was relieved. I was on the verge of ripping the seams too. I'm using some scraps and some yardage because if I used all scraps, the quilt would look like mud. I don't know how other people's scraps look so good together.

Louise said...

That little "Hi" in the center of your Jacks block made me smile :)

Kate said...

A very opportune experimental block in the mix. Glad you discovered the options now, rather than later. Hope you get in all the stitching you'd like this next week.

Magpie Sue said...

I love your category of projects you're not starting - as opposed to the ones you're *definitely* not starting I bet. ;-) So glad you discovered that the checkerboards could be used no matter which way they start out.