Sunday, October 22, 2017

Big pickle, small pickle, pickle, pickle, pick!

I'm still pickled.  Or pickling.  Whichever.

Since my tiny pickle from yesterday was extremely tiny, (3"x7" unfinished, which would have ended up about 2.5" by 6" finished), I went looking for a bigger pickle, and found a likely contender at All People Quilt. 
But, I seldom seem to be able to do things the easy way, and so I decided that I wanted this big pickle to have 10 points instead of only six.  I redrafted the pattern and gave it a whirl.


There were a few problems.  I didn't think to get a picture of the vaguely cup-shaped object that I ended up with.  A few alterations were needed before it would lie flat.


I had to add a bit more width to the end triangles -


and my football shape in the center was fine for length, but a bit too chubby in the midsection.


Here are my first two pickles, side by side.


The big pickle is 8.5"x18" unfinished, so it towers over the little one.


As a matter of fact, it looks like that little pickle would fit inside the center of the big pickle...

Naw.  That's too crazy, even for me.



Linking with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see what everyone's up to this week!

14 comments:

kmkat said...

Those pickles look like they demand a great deal of patience.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Sounds like your first attempt was an actual pickle dish :)

It is a lovely block but far too challenging for me. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have always felt that quilting is good for our brains, and I am sure you've now proven me right! I'm impressed with your big pickle and everything you did to make it work the way you wanted. Plus, it's pretty! :)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love the bigger pickle. I have a few made up, they are around 10" at the longest point. Must get back to making a few more!

Chantal said...

If you put the little pickle in the middle of the big pickle, it will be a stuffed pickled dish. Ha! To be able to pull such a "block", you have to be a very talented lady. It is much to complicated for me, let alone redraft it. Congratulation for persevering. The result is awesome! ;^)

Libby in TN said...

I'm tired just thinking about it!

Julierose said...

You are amazing to have re-drafted that pattern...much braver than i am--but love how it came out...i am entranced with all the "pickles" around these days....hugs, Julierose

Kate said...

You did a great job with your redrafted pattern. It's such a fun block, but oh so very detailed. I'll just enjoy watching your version come together.

Sally Trude said...

Molly and I look forward to see your stuffed pickle. And of course, everything is better in threes so you have a bit more drafting to do.

Alison V. said...

Oh my goodness these are fabulous!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Ten points on each side per pickle - oh, my goodness!

Cathy said...

Aren't you the clever one! I'd never be able to redraft a pattern like that. If you can do that then surely you can (are crazy enough) to make a pickle in a pickle. I'm looking forward to the next edition.

QuiltGranma said...

fantastic that you can redraft! make sure you get some veggie fabric of cucumbers and dill to go in this... just a suggestion! giggle!

Magpie Sue said...

All of this pickling around just confirms my opinion that you are insane - in a good way, but insane. <3