Sunday, September 3, 2017

Burgoyning again

Now that Are We There Yet isn't sucking up all my available time, a few other projects have been perking up to the surface.

This knitting project bag is actually something I finished a couple of weeks ago, but I had to wait to show it until I had given it to the friend for whom it was intended.



(I really really really didn't want to spoil the surprise!)  (And yes, it's another of the Retreat bags, like I was making here.)

I'm still puttering along with the 365 Challenge blocks.


I only lack one more of these 6" blocks to be caught up to the end of May.  I think these larger blocks are done at the end of June, then it's back to the 3" blocks that seem to go together a bit faster.  (Well, they do for me anyway)

And since Are We There Yet is up off the design floor (I've pinned the two halves together, but haven't committed to stitching the seam yet.  The sensible part of my brain is still trying to convince me to just stick with the parallel vertical lines of quilting that was my original plan, while the less sensible part (aka The Part that Gets Me in Trouble) is holding out for that ever-so-cool idea to quilt it in a continuous square spiral. ), I grabbed my newest Burgoyne block (#15)


and some 1.5" strips and squares


and laid everything out for a good look.


I still haven't decided whether I'll go with this narrow sashing, or with the 3" sashing with nine-patches for cornerstones.  I'll mock up the wider version, too, at some point soon, but considering the fact that these blocks finish at 15" without the sashing, that's a lot of quilt laying there, even in this compressed version.  I may have to go out in the yard to find room to lay out the big one...

I'm also got some other sewing projects going on - costume pieces, etc - that aren't yet at an interesting phase.  More on that later!

(And for those of you wondering about my adventures post, one of our elderly alpacas had to be put to sleep, and we were donating the body to the local veterinary college to benefit the students, the sweet corn was for the pigs, and my dad's vehicle of choice happens to be a truck with a dump bed.  So it was all perfectly logical, for some definitions of logical.)

Linking up with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  (I'm also hoping to get back on track with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, especially since this month is ORANGE!!!)



15 comments:

Judy said...

Hey - in the narrow version you have laid out have you considered a cornerstone in the middle of the sashing strip? I can also see a little hourglass there or maybe two corner stones on either side of the little accent block in the middle of the bigger block.

I really like the looks of that retreat bag. I can't wait to see the rest of the goodies you have made for gifts.

Libby in TN said...

Ooh, I like Judy's idea(s) about the sashing. I know, a lot more work ... and math would be involved ...

That retreat/knitting/whatever bag is too cool.

PS: Miss hearing from you more than once a week, but I'm not doing much better, either.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love how you BS is looking, those are lovely big blocks! I like your 'tone it down' colour combo, with those 'pops' of orange!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Burgoyne blocks are slowing making their way in my cutting table. I am still deciding a bit on color placement. I love them laid out with no sashing.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! Always like to see what you are up to.

Magpie Sue said...

I have to say I was surprised not to see orange featured in this post. ;-) Thanks for the explanations of the perfectly logical elements of your adventures; I feel better now. And just so you know, I had a look at the original of your Are We There Yet quilt and I like yours better. Which shouldn't shock anyone who knows me at all.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Burgoyne Surrounded blocks look wonderful all laid out together there! (And that should be an "uh oh" to me because that's how I got started on the monkey blocks - all your fault! :) Looks like you have found all kinds of fun things to keep busy with!

Chantal said...

I really love that bag. It opens up so wide. It's THE perfect craft bag in my book. Your choice of fabric and accent is perfect too. Congrats on this cute finish. I hope to get back on the RSC wagon this month too. It's ORANGE!!!! Enjoy!! ;^) P.S. Awesome Burgoyne blocks.

Angie said...

LOVE the knitting bag - what great fabrics!!
The new Burgoyne is a good fit. It's so much fun to see all the colors playing together!

sewyouquilt2 said...

love that bag and the Burgoyne quilt. so so pretty.

Cathy said...

Awesome bag! Can I be your friend?
Awesome BS too. I need to figure out how to quilt mine after I find a backing.

Sally Trude said...

Once in the far recesses of my past, I helped someone make a very traditional...nonscrappy Burgoyne surrounded. After that I couldn't even look at one...but you're bringing me back...

Mystic Quilter said...

Lucky friend!! Each time you post another shot of your BS blocks I admire your patience, I guess if they're a good size then it's not too tricky.

Vic in NH said...

Marvelous Burgoyne blocks, I love the newest one the best!

Kate said...

The Burgoyne blocks are pretty spectacular. Happy stitching this weekend.

Kaja said...

Your BS is looking fantastic and I like your little 6" blocks too. The BS is one of those blocks I love to see others making, since it's not something I'm likely to tackle.