Saturday, July 22, 2017

Cussing a blue streak

Since I didn't get many cluckers made over the last couple of months, I've gotten a little out of practice with my foundation paper-piecing skills.  Not that I had much in the way of skills in the first place, but the hiatus sure didn't do me any favors.
Not to mention the fact that it was about 9000 degrees in my studio yesterday, which made it entirely too hot to think.  My valiant little box fan tried to help, but failed to make any difference whatsoever.
After a certain point, my brain just refused to participate any further.
This made paper-piecing ridiculously a bit more difficult than it is even on a good day.
I swear, for every seam I sewed, I ripped out two.  Sometimes three.  I put pieces in backwards, upside-down, sideways, and/or the wrong color.



So, I believe this clucker's name is "%&$#*&!%" -  a blue streak for a blue chicken.

In other news, the auditions for sashing color for Long Time Gone continue.


I only had some small pieces of gold handy, but I like the warmth of this color.  I'll try a buttery yellow next, I think.
And orange is on the horizon.  Gotta give all the other colors a fair chance first, though...



Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.  Come see what's up with blue this week!

18 comments:

Monica said...

LOL, your little clucker is a beauty, so it was time well spent! These chickens are really tempting me, Gayle!

Chantal said...

Oh! That's funny, I have a coffee table with the same name as your chicken. But your chicken looks much better than the table. Love the fabric, Kaffe, I believe. Gold is the perfect color for the Long Time Gone quilt IMHO. No, I wouldn't mind seeing it with sashing of other colors. Enjoy the heat! Remember minus 40 degrees will soon be here. ;^)

Annette Mandel said...

That's a perky-looking chicken! A78mandel at yahoo dot com

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Well, that darn clucker! Glad she finally behaved! I'm loving the little peeks at your LTG blocks. Definitely give all the sashing colors an audition!

Sherrill said...

This clucker is my favorite! Maybe because he was so trying? Are these chickens patterns or are you just designing as you go?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I like the background fabric on that blue clucker.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear this little BLUE chicken gave you SEW much trouble!! Perhaps, instead of the expletive, its name should be Dinner. LOL

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh what a super clucker, head down bottom up - love it!
Good luck with the sashing decision,.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

He is a cute clucker! Now you've got me curious as to how the orange plays out for those LTG blocks!

Angie said...

The sassiest clucker to date?!

Kathy S. said...

Love your blue Clucker. The golf sashing looks great for your scrappy long time gone. I've been seeing that QA all over the internet. I love it, but have too many projects going on right now to spend that much on the pattern. Maybe someday when it's not so cool I'll get it cheap on eBay or Etsy. Happy finishing.

SandraC said...

I'm totally with you on the paper-piecing...I consider it a necessary evil. As for your sashing....I'm picturing a solid coral sashing, almost pink or dark salmon. Hard to explain. When I sashed my Tula Pink City Sampler I went shopping for grey sashing fabric, but the coral/salmon just screamed at me at the quilt shop, so I went with it and it looks so good.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

This little clucker really is adorable. I'm sorry you had to do so much ripping, but the finished block looks well worth it. Love the gold sashing you auditioned. --Andrea

Cathy said...

In hot or cold, rain or snow...my paper piecing is always "%&$#*&!%".

I see you are still having fun auditioning sashings on something I didn't even know you were working on until I saw the last auditioned sashings! I have a feeling I know what color the sashing will be. Time will tell...

PaulaB quilts said...

There may have been a lot of cussing going on, but the clicker turned out just fine after all that. Your,yellow,sashing is nice not too strong to compete with the pieces. It's looking great.

Angie in SoCal said...

Cute clucker!

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

Foul-Mouthed Chicken lol ! In the end it looks awesome :)

I have never yet tried paper piecing...:) Oh, EPP for hexies but not what you are doing.

Sally Trude said...

Taupe goes beautifully with everything. Love and licks from Buddy.