Saturday, March 25, 2017

Finally a sewing day!

Last week a three day snowstorm kept me from my studio, and just when the snow was showing signs of melting, we had some newborn piglets in distress that we've now been bottle feeding for a week.  (They're finally at the stage where they can go two hours between feedings.  This is a wonderful step up from the every-45-minutes that we started with.) 
Anyway, today was the first time in two weeks that I could head that half mile down the road and spend an afternoon at my sewing machine.  Hallelujah!

Naturally my first thoughts turned to chickens.


I still have no idea what I'm going to do with my RSC assortment of cluckers, but I'm having fun making them and that's the part that counts, right?

The little red hen was actually constructed as a leader/ender for my main project at the moment.
I'm building a backing


including using some of the leftovers from the front of the quilt


because I'm working on this quilt again.


Finally.
I realized that I was procrastinating on it because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to quilt it as well as it deserved.  But it has dawned on me that my walking foot opens all kinds of new possibilities, and it really doesn't matter that my free-motion quilting still needs lots and lots of practice.  I'm not exactly a whiz at walking foot quilting either, but it's much more approachable for me at this point.  Tally ho and quilt on!



Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday, and with Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see all the fun!





19 comments:

Judy said...

Lots of things you can do with straight-lines and gently curves while quilting your tops and not use any free motion quilting(stippling).

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I told Mom today not to worry if her FM quilting is not perfect. A quilt is a big project, so you don't notice the little flubs - and for the most part, the quilting dissapears and you'll have to search for the imperfections... so just go for it!

Janie said...

Naturally chickens!! Your work is cheerful, I always like what your working on.
The hexagons are super. I'm glad you got to your studio.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Ah yes, fmq certainly needs practise, but I'm finding lately that slightly wobbily lines work ok too! They soften things and make it look handmade. Love your chicken!

Sally Trude said...

Real piglets! We might need a picture! Otherwise, know we miss you when you're gone.

Libby in TN said...

Glad you could finally get back to sewing. And especially glad to see Twinkle Stars again.

Angie said...

These things are fun and fun is good!

Chantal said...

I understand with all the piglets' feeding you didn't feel like sewing up a piglet. :^D A chicken was a better call. And it is a gorgeous one too. I agree with Wandering Cat. Don't sweat the small stuff. Go slow, take your time. It's not a race. Only you will notice the little oops. They will all disappear after a couple of washes. So, how many piglets to bottle feed? Maybe some pictures too? ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on making your way to the studio!! Your little RED hen turned out well.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

A forced vacation from sewing makes the return to it all the sweeter! I have never gotten the hang of FMQ (I know some practice would help!) so I quilt everything with my walking foot! Here's a blog I found that has given me some great ideas - http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/10/31-days-of-walking-foot-quilting.html

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is great to see another glimpse of your twinkle star quilt. Hope you are able to sew this weekend. Sounds like you deserve some! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Ivani said...

So cute the red hen block.
Have fun with the new piglets and Enjoy the quilting process.

Karen's Korner said...

It sounds a very busy time at your place. Enjoy what time you can to sew.

Kate said...

Glad the you've found some time to get back to stitching, it's rough when life gets in the way.

Nell's Quilts said...

A finished quilt top, work on the backing and a great red chicken. Great progress.

Magpie Sue said...

I'm looking forward to having some sewing fun again in the coming week. Not that building the wedding quilt hasn't been fun but I'm ready for a little less pressure if you know what I mean. ;- ) Best wishes to the piglets!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Sounds like those little piglets keep you very busy--glad you finally found some time to sew! I know you will do great quilting with that walking foot!

Cathy said...

Glad you got in a little tiny bit of sewing but I'm having Gayle withdrawal and need to see more!

Building a backing? Oh, what fun. I hate even piecing together two pieces of fabric for a backing. Good for you! And I'm sure the quilting will be superb...no worries!

Nancy said...

Your sewing/quilting area is a half mile from your house?!!!!! If that were so for me I would never get anything done! I admire you all the more, Gayle. I like your little hen. And I'm sorry about the piglets' mother and that you have to feed them so often. (I'm not a lover of pigs.)