Saturday, October 17, 2015

I made it through another day without starting a Kaleidoscope!

Though I know it's just a matter of time.  That new ruler's 'pssts' are getting louder and louder.  We're now up to 'PSSSSST!', with 'PSSSSSST!!!' soon to come. 
*sigh*
In the meantime, I got a nice little fabric bump in the mail this morning:






I was a September winner in the Scraptastic Tuesday linky party.  There were a couple of glitches along the way (email is a lovely thing when it's working correctly...), but I'm now the happy owner of a stack of Tim Holtz fat quarters.  (One of my very favorite designers, and I was woefully lacking in that department.)
And I spy some browns in there, for this month's RSC blocks.  Win win win!  (I thought I had a lot of browns in my stash, until I went looking.  That's been happening to me a lot this year.  Apparently I have delusions where certain colors are concerned.)


Sharp-eyed readers might have spotted the pattern in last post's photo of my loot from Capital Quilts - the Sew Together bag is now figuring heavily in my plans for fall sewing. 
After all, everybody needs about ten of them, right?  (Note to self:  buy a lot of zippers)

Remember way back when, when I tossed out some hints on projects I was working on?  Gifts have been gifted, so I'll do a quick reveal.  (Yeah, I know you were all just dying of curiosity...)

Here's what I was chain quilting:
 

Improv birdie coasters.  These were a lot of fun, though a real challenge because I found it hard to let go of rulers and precision and matchy-matchy.  (I really admire wonky and carefree piecing - I just don't feel like I'm very good at it...)

The other teaser was for this project:

 Beer bucket! 
It's heavily padded, and there's a removable insert, so it can be used for growlers or for individual bottles.



This was a gift for my oldest daughter and her husband (the ones I just visited), who are beer aficionados and will put it to good use.
Though I wish I had taken notes while I was building it, since younger daughter expressed interest in having one, too.
I'm sure I can remember exactly what I did, right?




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The birdie coasters are adorable. And what a nice haul!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. I hear rumors of a kaleidoscope anonymous starting.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I was expecting a post sharing a quilts worth of kaleidoscope blocks! Such great self control you have. Love the little birds!

Vic in NH said...

Oh, your Ohio stars are so dear! I suggest that you sew the orphan block onto the front of a sweatshirt or Tee shirt. Congratulations on all your pretty winnings and just rip into those Kaleidoscope blocks!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love those little bird coasters

Magpie Sue said...

The bird coasters are wonderful. Somebody needs to make at least one for me!

Julierose said...

Oh gosh I love tim holtz's scrapbook stuff--I didn't know he did FABRIC????
Where have i been?????
Well, I'll just have to go and search for that for sure...your little pkg looks fascinating! Nice and neutral. Your little birdies are adorable, hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Never heard of Tim Holtz. I'm not one for remembering designer names but I'll have to look him up. I like those fabrics. I think I have some of that bottle cap one.

My husband is a beer aficionado. He makes his own ales, stouts and whatever else...and wine for me from our orchard fruits! Cute beer bucket. I'd make one for him but he never goes anywhere so doesn't have to tote it.

Chantal said...

Congrats on winning Scraptastic draw for September. I N V U, lol. Love the little birdies coasters. They look great. That beer bucket is very interesting. Care to make a tutorial? or share where you got the pattern please? Enjoy Tim's fabric. ;^)

LA Paylor said...

oh! you've resurfaced in a big way! Love love the bird coasters... want to make some, now where did you get the "pattern" or idea? LEeAnna