Thursday, July 12, 2012

And then, to make the day just perfect, the tailpipe fell off my car

It was one of those "Perfect Storm" type deals.

You know.  Just my normal life.

The letter notifying me that I'd been chosen for jury duty had been hiding for a couple of weeks before I found it.  (And my first reaction was "Hey!  You can't do that!  I'm immune for 2 years!"  But it turned out that I'd served in 2009, which meant my 2 years was up.  Crap.)  Luckily, there was now an option to respond online, which I did, with apologies for the lateness of the response.
This left me with very little notice that I had to show up on Wednesday, the 11th, for the first Jury Draw, but when I consulted with the Ops at work, she checked my schedule for that week (which had been done ahead of time, since the manager was about to go on vacation) and it showed that I was off that day anyway, so "whew!"  Bullet dodged.
But what she neglected to tell me was that I was scheduled for overnights on Monday and Tuesday.  (It was a fluke - Home Office decided that the seasonal reset that the stores needed would be done as overnights.  An experiment.  If I was paranoid, I'd be sure that it was all about me...)
That meant that I would get out of work Wednesday morning at 7am, after working a 10 hour shift, and have to go directly to the courthouse in the next town in order to be there for 8am.  And then try to stay awake through 8 hours of sitting in a courtroom.

Yeah.

There was one point about mid-afternoon, where I woke up when the bailiff bellowed "All rise!!" when the judge swept back in the room.  I don't know how long I'd been asleep.  I can only hope I didn't snore.

And I was very glad they didn't call my name to question me for a particular case.
Attorney for the defendant:  "So tell me, do you have any particular aversions to someone who... eats kittens?"
 Me:  "Um....  No?"

And yeah, my tailpipe really did fall off on my way to the courthouse.  I had to go back and pick it up.  Then walk along the highway, carrying a 6-ft tailpipe at 7 o'clock in the morning.

Just perfect.




9 comments:

Angie said...

Oh wow.

I hope you were able to find some more sleep in a nicer venue! And maybe a nice adult beverage.

Judy said...

Think I will stick to my boring little life.

Melissa said...

What a day. Do you have to go back for another go or are you free for at least a few months?

Erika said...

Ugh, sucks!!!

My car has been sans tailpipe for about five years now. It would cost like $1500 to fix, and heck, if I had that kind of money lying around, I wouldn't be driving on such balding tires, would I?

Cookie said...

Oh, honey...

xoxox

Bullwinkle said...

/snicker uh... Yes, that was a bad day. Any knitting or spinning in your future?

Anonymous said...

You know, you really ought to write a book. You have more "excitement" in your life than anyone I know."

Laurie said...

Ugh. All counts. I thought MY life was nuts. You win.

Carrie K said...

Eats *kittens*? Oh, I do not want to know.