Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pickin' Up Chicks

No, not that kind...

This kind:Of course, procrastination bit me on the ass again. The chicks were supposed to be delivered tomorrow, not today. (Who ever heard of a delivery that came in early?? What kind of nonsense is that?) We'd planned to hunt up and sanitize all the equipment today and go get the chicks tomorrow - and we won't mention the fact that we ordered these chicks weeks ago and could have had all that stuff ready to go.
So, I rushed through all today's errands (and I still think I've forgotten something important...) and then stopped in at work to get a cardboard box on my way to the feedstore where the little peepers were waiting. Rushed home with a box full of panicky peeps, hunted high and low to track down all the scattered equipment, washed, disinfected, set up, and freed the chicks in their new home.
They've now all had a drink, a snack, and a poop. Happy days.

We've got 6 Buff Orpingtons (the darker colored chicks - they'll be a beautiful golden-yellow when grown) and 12 Cornish-Cross (the light yellow ones - they'll be white and tasty when grown.)

4 comments:

pacalaga said...

White and tasty...rofl. I would like to have chickens some day, I think, but DH is adamantly against it. He grew up on a commercial chicken farm (his parents managed it) so he thinks of chickens as nasty, stinky beasts. I tell him anything is stinky when you cage 30,000 of them and stick them in a building and let them crap on the floor...

Anna M said...

So cute! I still want some but we've got to get the gardens wrangled first. Sigh...

Erika said...

Eee, so cute! I desperately miss the "fuzzy ping pong ball" stage.

Diane said...

They look just like the marshmellow peeps I have left over from Easter....but cuter.