Sunday, March 15, 2009

Nothing Says Togetherness Like Butchering Chickens

Oh, yeah. Madman and I really know how to enjoy a romantic weekend. Today we finally did in the last of the excess roosters. They had gotten a reprieve when the cold weather set in. I won't go into the icky details, but butchering chickens in freezing weather just doesn't work.
Since today was a beautiful day, sunshine, temps in the high 40's, what better way to spend it than making a little mayhem? I've documented our system before - we've been at this for awhile now.
And the best part? After all the feathers are cleaned up, we get to have this for supper:
Roast chicken, with all the fixin's. Stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn from last summer's garden. (And yes, that's a spoon up that chicken's butt. Got to get to that stuffing somehow...)

I've also got some fairly yucky pictures of chicken innards (email me if you want to see them - heehee), showing a size comparison between the heart, liver, lungs, and testicles. Guess which is biggest? Yep. Each one is bigger than the heart, bigger than the liver, bigger than a lung. And certainly bigger than the brain.
Kinda makes ya think...

3 comments:

Anna M said...

Nicely done! Now I need to go get a chicken out of the freezer....

Joansie said...

OMG....I can't stop laughing! Thanks for the giggle. Next time I want to come for dinner....lol.

Anonymous said...

So send me the email. You should see the mink's peter.