Sunday, December 16, 2018

Stringing along

This year's Bonnie Hunter Mystery is the fourth year I've played along.  While I loved making Allietare, En Provence, and On Ringo Lake, I'd always hoped that Bonnie would revisit the string blocks that she used in mystery quilts of old.
And hooray hooray - this year's the year!
Clue #4 dropped on Friday morning, and not only did it involve string blocks, but it involved making orange string blocks!
Oh, bliss!

There's just one teensy-tiny problem.
String piecing is just so...  so... untidy.
(If you were to draw a Venn Diagram of People Who Are Extremely Stingy and People Who are Anal-Retentive, you would find me in the overlap.)  (I'm not kidding.)

So I gave the process a lot of thought and decided on a way that made the least waste and the least mess.  I'm probably violating the spirit of stringness here, but so it goes.
Grabbing the stack of old phone books that my dad had just that morning added to the kindling pile (good thing I was paying attention since I'd forgotten to tell him I wanted them), I started cutting and marking pages.
This page is going to give me six of those pretty little orange string blocks.


And here is where you can see me in action, in all my OCD glory.


Instead of starting the first strip in the center and working out from there, I lined up the edge of the fabric and the edge of the paper.  Perfectly.  Because of course I did.

Surprisingly, I can actually sew crooked strips on after that first one without twitching.  But that first one...

Here you can see I'm bearing down on the red line that I marked on my paper.  (You can see both red lines in the photo of my prepped paper above)  That line is where the block unit will be cut, so I know I have to watch out here and allow a wide enough strip that the seam allowances stay out of the seam allowances, if you know what I mean.


It's clear in this next photo, where that solid orange strip is in the middle of the strip set - it's wide enough to allow lots of leeway.  The strip on the right is where I trimmed on the other red line, and that little strip will be used in the next block.


Here's a view of the back where you can see just how stingy I am.  This is how I trim as I sew, so there's a minimum of waste.


We all have our little quirks...

Once the paper was covered and trimmed to size, I sliced it into thirds


and then cut them in half to yield six string-pieced units.


And then I did a bunch more!


I started to throw out these leftover bits of paper that had been trimmed off the end of each set of blocks, but then realized if I saved them, I wouldn't have to count all those little blocks - all I have to do is count these papers and multiply by six!  Given the troubles I've had with block-counting lately, this seems like a good plan.


Adding these clue #4s to the bin (and including the chevrons that I've got on the pressing board waiting to be flattened), I've now got a bit more than half of the units I'll need for each clue.


I'll carry on making more of all these, using them as leader/enders for my other sewing.  Onwards and upwards!  And stringing all the way...

Linking with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap, and with Quiltville's Clue Four Linky Party.  Oh the scraps that you'll see!





18 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like a lot of fun, and you got 4 blocks out of one set of strips. Win, win! The oranges are so pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Orange Strings?!?! I completely forgot to check what this week's clue was. Oops!

Ann said...

Darn. I just tossed the old phone book. It's been on the shelf for 4-5 years.
Your strips look good. Have fun.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Hope you are enjoying this... lots of strips, lots of yummy orange!

cityquilter grace said...

nice collection of units....the way you did the oranges is most efficient i think!

Libby in TN said...

You're coming right along with the mystery. When I saw the chevrons I was so glad I'm not doing it. Count on you to come up with an easy way to do strings!

Louise said...

Your process is fascinating! Stingy, OCD, fiddly and so not for me, but fascinating! I'm so glad it works for you, though. We all gotta do things that are right for us in all our varied quilty glory :)

Alison V. said...

The way you've made your units is SO smart! I used much smaller scraps so mine aren't *entirely* string pieced. Your color variety is great!

Ginny said...

These look beautiful!

chrisknits said...

An OCD'er after my own heart! LOL

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your blocks are coming along quite nicely. Love how you were able to get so many blocks out of one sheet of paper!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Neat!

Vireya said...

That's a very smart way to tackle the strings.

Chantal said...

You are so efficient! Stingy, anal, OCD and all, the bottom line is you are EFFICIENT! You are also beautiful and pleasant and funny and ... do you know you are loved? Your orange looks so good and crisp. ;^)

Sally Trude said...

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't string piece your Venn diagram...

Cathy said...

You gave me a good laugh!
And whatever works. Looks like you made quick work of strings.
I'm on the stingy and lazy overlap and enjoy untidy strings without foundations if possible!

Kate said...

That makes short work of all those string blocks! What a great tip.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Effective! Love your orange strings ;)