Monday, November 26, 2018

Starting Good Fortune

As soon as Bonnie Hunter announced the colors for Good Fortune, I started pulling fabrics and stacking them in a shallow box.


I shoulda started with a bigger box...

Since I was perilously low on strips (Totally Demented has been using all my 2" and 2.5" strips, and I haven't been diligent about replacing the 1.5" strips that got sucked up by Checkerboard Rails), I squeezed in a little cutting when I needed a break from that flurry of machine-quilting I just went through.
Of course, I started with orange, then went through some blues and greens, but I hadn't replenished the reds yet.


So naturally, the first clue involves reds.
I grabbed some of my neutral strips (I try to always have plenty on hand!) 


and quickly cut a few reds and voila!


Clue #1 has a small start!

Since I had finished On Ringo Lake only moments before, I no longer needed the Ringo bin.  Here are my leftovers -


which resulted from wimping out sensibly deciding not to make the full sized quilt.  No worries!  Having nine patches and flying geese on hand is always a blessing, and I can recycle those diamond blocks right into my HSTs for Demented. 


That left me a bin to put my Good Fortune blocks into.  Yay!


Though they look a little lonely all by themselves in that great big bin.  I'll be making a few (hundred) more over the course of this week.  Already looking forward to the next clue!

Linking with Bonnie Hunter for the first Mystery Monday linky party.  Come see what Good Fortune is bringing us!



14 comments:

Vesuviusmama said...

Bravo on finishing On Ringo Lake, no matter the size. I should get off this computer and go down to assemble more of that top while finishing up my Clue #1.

Cathy said...

You go, girl!

Ann said...

You certainly finished the previous one in the nick of time. How fortunate to have some leftovers ready to go.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Lovely pieces!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Fun! I've got a baby blanket to start, but this flu is kicking my butt! I haven't sewed since last weekend!

Sally Trude said...

Congratulations on jumping off the high dive! But I have to ask...what do the backs of your four patches look like?

Vireya said...

Great start! Congratulations on finishing Ringo Lake in time to have an empty box for the new mystery.

Louise said...

Very smart to use those odd sashing pieces for Demented! I like the way you think. And you're off to a good start for Good Fortune. I'm doing 2/3 of the blocks since Bonnie's quilts are usually so big. The four patches were fun :)

Nancy said...

I always admire you quilters who do Bonnie's mystery quilt every October. I tried two when I first learned of them but I'm already so behind.... I'll just admire your work this year!

SandraC said...

What a nice start! I am just beginning cut some strips today, and will look forward to your progress.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Looks like a great start to the new project. Congrats on finishing your last project so you have an empty bin to use.

Jeanette said...

Grrrr! You reminded me about some of those tricky ORL shapes. Good to clear them out of the box and get your lovely 4 patches stowed away.

kmkat said...

A quilter friend -- yes, another one! -- told me about a flying geese quilt she had seen that used old blue jeans. Just dropping a hint...

Mystic Quilter said...

It's exciting to watch all you folks who taking part in Good Fortune, brave girls. Are you keeping to Bonnie's original colour scheme?