Saturday, October 13, 2018

October Green

It feels a bit funny to be hauling out greens in October, when the world outside is trying very hard to be not-green as fall erupts around us.
But green is always a happy choice to play with, so I made up a block for the Squared Away sampler.  (Have I mentioned how much I've enjoyed these blocks?  Every one of them is tempting me to make a whole quilt out of them.)



When I added this one to the Squared Away stack, I remembered that I hadn't made the blue block for September, so I pulled out my notebook where I keep a record of the patterns.  (I can't get wifi in either of my studios, so I have to transport information the old-fashioned way.)


Well, that explains why I haven't done the September block.  I'll have to revert to an even more old-fashioned way and scrawl the pattern on the back of an envelope...

In the meantime, in between my log-cabin-building efforts, I'm still putt-putting along with my demented project.  I sew HSTs until I'm sick of them, then sew together those little four-patch butterflies until I'm sick of them, then I switch to sewing a light butterfly to a dark butterfly to form a half block until - well, you get the picture.


And when I have a sizable stack of half blocks, I finally start sewing them together to make more full blocks.


And when I get tired of that, I go back to HSTs.  Little by little, the stack grows.  (The fact that I'm spinning every one of those seam intersections as I go helps contribute to the tedium factor.  I know it's making everything easier to sew together, but wowzers it's a pain in the butt.)

When I get to where the count is over 200 (out of the 256 I need) I think I'll start sewing these blocks together into sets of four.  Just to break things up, of course.  (By that time, the seam spinning will be epic.)
I can do this, yes I can.

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday, and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come enjoy all the scrappy fun!



11 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Your green Squared Away block looks good. I didn't like last month's so I've been looking for a 5-patch/grid to replace it. Any suggestions?

You and I have the same approach for Demented, only you're sticking with it better than I am. I am spinning all the seams, too. I do think it will pay off in the end.

Cathy said...

That's a lot of twirling and spinning, isn't it? Glad to see you are still moving forward! It's one awesome quilt.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

All that spinning would make me dizzy! :) But hopefully it will be worth it in the end! Your green Squared Away block looks great, and I love your notebook page of pretty blocks! That will be a fun record of the blocks we made this year.

Chantal said...

I have Internet right beside my sewing machine and I still revert to the good ol' pencil and paper method. It is so reliable when we have power failure. Love your green block. Your demented method obviously works well since you are making great progress on that quilt too. Enjoy! ;^)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

All your blocks are beautiful! Great progress too ;))

Ann said...

Taking the time to sketch the block on grid paper always helps me learn the measurements and relationships. I'm sorry we've gotten away from that. Good plan with your HSTS to butterflies.
I'm still using your 20 minute idea to move some sawtooth sashing along. It's working very well. There are more old projects that could be added to this method.

Sally Trude said...

Your block needs a danger sign those points are so precise. And oh dear, does this mean I have to layer up my demented top just to hide the raging tumult on the backside?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your DEMENTED progress is sure to help your productivity! All that spinning? SEW worth it!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lots of your projects are progressing towards a finish quite nicely. I always struggle when I have to make hundreds of blocks. But you are so close!

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Mystic Quilter said...

So we see you have 151 demented blocks, just about 100 to go but I guess they are do-able in small sections.

Kate said...

Your Squared Away block looks great! Good luck with your Demented project. Tackling it a bit time helps so much when you've got so many HSTs. It will all get done eventually (hopefully without driving you demented!).