Sunday, August 12, 2018

Getting August squared away

I've really enjoyed the blocks that Angela and Mari have come up with for this year's RSC Sampler.  Every one of them has been something that I want to eventually make a whole quilt from.
This month's orange block is no exception -


I think it would be a lot of fun to play with - maybe set on point?

Flushed with success, I went back for May.  Somehow I hadn't gotten around to making the block for pink month, so I pulled some pinks, then quickly cut and stitched this whirligig of a block.


My goal has been to get at least one of each block made as we go along, and now I'm caught up.  My ultimate plan is to set the rainbow blocks with alternate Irish chain blocks.  I've got a black fabric with multicolor polka dots that would be perfect for the chains. 
Unless I change my mind, of course.  Like that could happen, right?

Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday, and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come enjoy the scrappy fun!




14 comments:

Judy said...

No quilt is finished until the binding goes on...ummm...I take that back, no quilt is finished until it is given away. It's possible, I've replaced the binding on a quilt or two cause I just didn't like it.

Cathy said...

Your blocks are lovely, as always. I’ve had the same thought as you - that for most of the blocks, I could see myself making an entire quilt of them. I do plan on some design wall play with them before sewing the flimsy. Who knows, some interesting secondary patterns may develop.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I haven’t finished my squared away blocks yet this month but I sure like the color placement in yours.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Libby in TN said...

Your new SA blocks are looking good! The first quilt I ever finished was a 5-grid sampler and I still love to work with that format.

Laura said...

I like your fabric choices!

And I love the idea if an Irish chain alternate; I might use that idea!

MissPat said...

I used darker browns in my three August squared away blocks, but now I wish I used a lighter value brown to lessen the contrast. I guess I could make another one since the month is only half over. I haven't even thought about layout yet, waiting to see what Angela and Mari have in mind.
Pat

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Lovely blocks!

Chantal said...

Even though I am not taking part in Angela's sew along, I love the block she picked for August. It would be fun to have an entire quilt with this block because it changes a lot when you move the values around. Good job on getting all caught up. Enjoy! ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on getting your ORANGE block done for the Squared Away sampler and getting caught up on the block for the month of may, as well.

Cathy said...

The Irish Chain plan sounds like a good one. I always forget Irish Chain as an alternate block. I probably have two samplers that could use some chains.

Ann said...

An alternate block of Chains sounds like a good plan as it will unify the different blocks. Have fun.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Both of these blocks are lovely! If only we had time to make full quilts out of every block we enjoyed making!

Kate said...

Both Squared Away blocks turned out beautifully! I'm not sure yet how I'm going to set mine. I'll be curious to see what everyone else has planned.

Quilter Kathy said...

Aren't they so fun?!? I haven't made my orange blocks yet, but am looking forward to it.
Since my blocks are so small, I'll have to either make more blocks or add an alternate block too.