Saturday, September 9, 2017

Orange stars, Monday Minis, and slowly expanding BS

Finally some RSC content!  (You knew I wasn't going to be able to resist orange, right?)
I grabbed the bin of my sadly neglected Centennial stars, and got right to work play.


Check out the star points in that block in the lower right corner of the picture.  I could only squeak out seven triangles from my orange pindot scrap, so I rummaged through my pile of scrap triangles for an eighth one.  Luckily I found an orange polka dot scrap that would work perfectly as long as I wasn't picky about dot sizes.  Win!

I made a sixteenth Burgoyne Surrounded block, but apparently forgot to photograph it.  It's the blue-centered one being cut off at lower left -


and then I whipped up a couple of quick nine patches and tested out the 3" sashing version of BS.  I like it better than the narrow sashing, which is going to result in a much larger quilt.  (Fifteen inch blocks with three inch sashing is going to be honkin' huge.)  This means I might as well stop making more blocks.  Or start another BS quilt.  Whichever.

Proceeding from large to small, I next turned my attention to my Monday Maniacal Minis.  (Was that the name of it?)  I counted up my little blocks and what with the extras I'd made (because my math skills don't seem to include counting), came up with twenty-three.  There's no sensible layout I could think of that used 23 blocks, so my choices were to discard three blocks for a count of twenty (like in the Temecula pattern) or to forge ahead and make two more blocks for a total of 25.
I forged.



A couple of framed square-in-squares gave me the desired total, and I started sashing these itty bitties.


Cue the dithering for the second sashing color.
Green?


Yellow?


Orange?


Pink?


Red?


Rainbow swirls?


What's that last fabric again?


I found a backing for Are We There Yet.  I love these big multicolor circles sooooo much!

(And my Monday Minis are currently in timeout while they think about their total lack of cooperation in sashing choice.  I'll get back to them when their attitude is a little better.)


Linking with SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday, and with Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see what all the happy scrappy folk are doing!



21 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Not enough dithering...let's see blue. Then purple monkeys. Thank you.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I'm kinda partial to that yellow sashing... though the red is nice too!

And I'm not entire sure you know what the word "stop" means, so there's probably another BS quilt in the works.

Edith said...

Such lovely Centennial stars, I didn't notice the different point until you pointed it out (really had to look to see what you were talking about). As for the sashing, the orange really popped, my first choice, then I like how the pink or the red looked.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Hmmm. That green is kinda nice but I think orange always works. I just might start my first BS blocks today. I know I will only make enough blocks for one quilt.....unless they are fun to make!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I like the red or ORANGE... like you didn't see THAT coming!! That rainbow print makes such an AWESOME backing, but sashing??? Not so much.

Sue SA said...

Yep, got that problem here...the MMM sashing issue! Too many choices. Love your RSC blocks, especially BS.

scraphappy said...

So many great blocks in just one post. I like the red or the yellow for sashing. Or the green. Ok, so I'm no help at all. Something will come to you eventually.

Mystic Quilter said...

So much to see here! Centennial Stars - lovely, especially the way you have a 'rogue' star point in the mix, I like that!
BS is coming along splendidly and looking so good. Sashing - that's always a difficult one for me, I have so many fabrics out on the table and then get myself all confused.

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

LOL you have so many projects my head is spinning :) Sashing...they all look great but my quick preference without thinking about it too much was either the green or orange.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love all this busyness, lots to look at! Very pretty stars, and as for the sashing decison, well I'm sure you will pick the perfect fabric. Did you try a teal blue?

Libby in TN said...

If you'll put Scrap Jar Stars on your RWC18 list, then I'll do Centennial Stars. I'm no help on the sashing. The yellow was my favorite till I saw the orange ... Let's see more!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I vote for the orange sashing! :). My strategy for an odd number of blocks was to put one on the back. But more is better, too! I like those Centennial star blocks a lot!

Chantal said...

Love that make-do Centennial Star. ♥
You used a soft green fabric to join the MMM blocks. Do you have enough to make the sashing and then frame it with something else? That would unify the quilt, IMHO. Otherwise I vote for green or orange, of course. I am sorry to see that blue is missing in action. :^{
Rainbow swirls is a fantastic fabric ... but not so much for this quilt. Let's save it for another one. Enjoy the dithering! ;^)

Angie said...

I appreciate you doing all the legwork on the BS blocks! I like the look of the 9-patch setting squares, will file that away for future reference. I kinda like the orange with the minis, but maybe an orange with a little less motion?

SandraC said...

I'm liking the orange sashing....didn't you pick orange recently for your Long Time Gone? Maybe orange is the new neutral!

MissPat said...

I want to see purple sashing before deciding. You just used orange for Long Time Gone. Okay, I kniw, so what? Let it simmer for a while. I love the rainbow batik, but today it reminds me of Irma spinning her way up the coast. Be safe everyone in FL and beyond.
Pat

Kate said...

You got a lot of scrappy sewing done. I really like the orange, it just does something fun to all the colors in the blocks.

kmkat said...

I like the orange and the red (red is my favorite color in the world), but I'd like to see the squares laid out on a darker color before Rendering Judgement. Also, I really, really like the whole square in a square idea.

Quiltblocksandmore said...

The pink sashing is my favorite. Love all your blocks!

R's Rue said...

Great.

Nicky said...

Wow you have been busy! All sashing choices look great - not much help really. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday we will be picking winners later in the week thanks to Finish-A-Long