Busy busy busy! I kept thinking I'd get a post thrown up (not in the vomiting sense) (well, considering how many pictures this post has, maybe it kind of is...), but didn't get it done.
I've actually been madly knitting and sewing here in the background, but some of those projects are for gifts and I don't want to spoil any surprises. But I did manage to get some blogable stuff done.
I'd fallen behind on the Temecula Marvelous Monday Minis, but am now all caught up again.
This Anvil block from the beginning of the month was fussy, but doable.
But when I saw the next week's mini log cabins using a 1" center square and 3/4" strips, I noped right into another plan.
Sewing together the ends of two 1" strips, I then trimmed the red square to 3/4" from the seam (to be that 1" center) and cut the light 1/2" away from the seam. That was a whole lot easier than sewing a 3/4"x1" strip to a 1" square, I'll tell ya.
I proceeded with that same strategy, sewing my block-in-progress to progressively wider strips,
and trimming them to size afterward.
And just because I can't leave well enough alone, I made a second block using the traditional half-light/half-dark sequence.
And ended up with two rather nice log cabins, which gives me an extra block if I need one.
Then a quick shoo-fly for this week's block, and I'm all caught up. Yay!
I even managed to get some blocks done for the 365 Challenge that I started (and floundered) last year.
That takes me almost to the end of May, so I'm only a summer behind now! This could still happen!
And there was considerable work done on Are We There Yet, even though I made some epic fails that slowed things down a bit.
Like this block that I knew perfectly well what size grid was needed, but grabbed the bin of the wrong size strips anyway. Directions? Who needs directions?
Once I made the block the correct size, things went a lot smoother.
Of course, they weren't going quite as smoothly as I thought they were, since I discovered I'd left another mistake in my wake.
I went back through my photos and discovered that I'd laid out that section right, but had flipped it somewhere in the process of sewing things together.
My seam ripper is my best friend...
There. That's better.
And now -
It's together, except for one last long vertical seam that joins the left side to the right side. My original plan was to quilt it in sections and sew that seam afterward, then add the borders and quilt them. But I just saw a tutorial the other day on quilting in a square spiral, and now I'm thinking that maybe that's what I want, instead of the straight vertical lines that I'd intended.
You all knew that I'd have to have one final dither about this quilt, right?
And I have a few leftovers from all the effort.
There's that too-small pluses block, and there's an extra log cabin which I'd purposely made in case there was trouble in making the blocks show up against whatever sashing color I ended up with. Then there's that leftover pineapple, which is a sad sad tale. I'd been working on the pineapple blocks as I went along, since they're so labor intensive and fiddly that I know I would have burnt out on them if I'd done them all at once. But they'd gotten a bit scattered, what with being a leader/ender among all the other Long Time Gone blocks. When I had them almost done, I counted them. Then I counted them again because I was one short. Then I counted them again because I couldn't possibly be one short because that would mean I'd have to make another one. From scratch. And I was one short every time I counted.
Some of you may have heard the sound I made at that point - it was a cross between a scream and a sob.
But I pulled myself together and made a whole 'nother pineapple block, grumbling all the way, and added it to the stack.
And then counted them again.
And had one extra.
And then I made a whole different kind of noise - a sort of high-pitched keening that set all the local dogs to howling and made all the babies cry...
Linking with Quilting is more fun than Housework for this week's Oh Scrap! Come join the fun!