Friday, July 21, 2017

Monday's Mini Madness

This week's Marvelous Monday Mini was fun, though I departed from the instructions to make the block.
I took one look at the 'draw a line corner to corner on 1.5" squares and sew on either side of the line' direction and said a big 'Nope!'  Instead, I grabbed a couple of handy 3" squares and  did the 8-in-1 trick.


A bit of squaring up to get those teensy weensy 1" HSTs


and I was (almost) done.  The only problem with the 8-in-1 trick is that you only get eight HSTs, and I needed nine.


So, I made and trimmed one more HST, this time using a couple of scraps, and filled in that center.


Some 1" strips were added as the borders, and another week is done!


I've made better triangle points in my time, but these pieces are so tiny that I'm not going to unpick and re-sew.  It's certainly good enough for a galloping horse - even a lumbering turtle would have a hard time spotting such itty bitty booboos!

7 comments:

Libby in TN said...

So LTG wasn't mini enough for you, eh? I forget about the Magic 8 technique till I'm halfway through making HSTs. Thanks for the reminder.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Who wants perfection? Imperfection is much more interesting.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I never use the line method - I just slice those squares into triangle halves and sew. Even little bitties work this way for me - my machine doesn't eat them.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I haven't made this week's block yet, but when I get to it I will definitely try this HST method! Your block looks great to me!

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

Your little mini looks fantastic! I love the color combination that you used. Have a great weekend! --Andrea

Mystic Quilter said...

Whoa, those are tony triangles!!!

SandraC said...

Looks great! I got caught up with my minis this week after being on holiday....I don't want to fall too far behind on yet another project!