Monday, February 1, 2016

Two kaleidoscopes, but no butterflies... But there's a pig!

Cathy has a thing for kaleidoscopes.  And butterflies, apparently.  Since she's the main reason I'm colliding and colluding with kaleidoscopes, I'd better play along!

With February upon us, the RSC color has changed to brown with optional pink accents.  As I was royally tired of blue (sorry), I was happy to grab a different color.  And happily, I have browns handy because I'm using them in my Challenge 365 project.

That kaleidoscope ruler has been calling my name (though in a muffled sort of way, since I keep it closed in a drawer, purely for my own good), so I released removed it from the drawer and got right to work.
Here's my regular kaleidoscope block, though without corners yet.  I'm considering waiting until the end to decide on corners, which is what I'm doing with my other kaleidoscope quilt.


Because of course I'm making two kaleidoscope quilts.  Here's the block I made for the snazzier version.


And I couldn't resist seeing what it looked like with the blue ones from last month.


If I hadn't run out of time, I'd have at least a half dozen more blocks done.   (I've got bits for two others cut at this point.)  And that's why I have to keep the ruler put away, because once I touch it, I find it very hard to stop making blocks.  Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I do need to stop and eat and sleep now and then...
I've been ending up with some extra sections as I cut the strips, so I'm keeping them set aside.  They might end up as wacky blocks, or maybe I'll work them into a border somehow.


And I was happy I made this little guy before I let the kaleidoscope ruler out to play. 


I wouldn't want to run short on piglets, after all.



Linking with Cathy's kaleidoscopes and butterflies party.  Come see the multicolor fun!



10 comments:

Kimberly Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Will you show us a picture of this kaleidoscope ruler so I can make sure mine is under lock and key?

Sally Trude said...

As I'm watching the snow melt and mix with rain, the choice of brown for February is starting to make sense. And yes, all those cold blue piglets would be quite muddy.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your blocks look great! No piggies for me this month. I already made a muddy brown one :)

Ann said...

I enjoyed seeing your kaleidoscope variations. It's so interesting to see a range from traditional to "wild" as you mix the wedges. And they look great with your blue kaleidoscopes. Thanks for linking up with us.

Mystic Quilter said...

I think your mix it up kaleidoscope has great possibilities!

Cathy said...

I'm glad I'm to blame for spreading the kaleidoscope fever. I haven't tried one w/o corners as you go or alternating wedges of different strip sets...so many kaleidoscopes so little time. I have a few of those wacky ones in my orphans box. Glad you joined the party.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I'm so glad there was a pig. I demand a pig in every post!

Clare M said...

Lovely Kaleidoscope blocks, my favourite is the second one. Brown, yum have lots of them out while doing the 365 Challenge. Maybe I will have to get into these kaleidoscope blocks too...

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love what you are doing with both versions of your Kaleidoscope blocks! I'm tempted to make a 2nd version - I know, I know!