Saturday, February 20, 2016

This winter has been a real whackdoodle

Yesterday we had freezing rain, so despite the fact that a newly charged battery meant I had wheels again, I sat home.
Today, however, was glorious.  Temperatures in the high 50's, blue sky, mud up to your ankle bones - a perfect spring day.
Of course, it's not actually spring yet, so when all that mud and mushy snow freezes back up tonight, it's going to be slipperier than snot out there tomorrow morning...
Eh, tomorrow can take care of itself.
For today, I got an afternoon of quality sewing time.

First on the list was trying to get a little more caught up on the 365 Challenge.  I tackled those 3" Ohio Star blocks, and they actually went smoother than I could have hoped.  Even the one that had those itsy 4-patches...


Once again, I had a hard time getting those little doozies to lie flat long enough to get a good picture of them.  This section of the quilt is probably going to be bulletproof, given how dense it is with all those seam allowances.  I'm betting it's going to be one heavy puppy, too, when it's done.  Which sounds good for these upstate winters, so I'm not actually complaining.

 I put together some blocks for the RSC - NOT kaleidoscopes.   Though I admit I caught myself a couple of times with 2" strips in my hand, headed for the sewing machine.  Other people have to order themselves to Put The Strips Down, right?  It's not just me?

I had been thinking of these blocks as Hovering Hawks, but that block actually is a 4x4 grid rather than this 3x3.  Bonnie Hunter calls them Jacks, and I've seen a couple of other references to variations of that name.  I like them because they're dirt simple to make and have a lovely old fashioned look.


I might make a couple more this coming week as we wrap up brown.

And one of the things I had to do today was cut some 3.5" squares for my traveling Quilty 365 kit, since several days of not getting to the studio had made supplies dwindle.
As long as I had browns out...


I cut some other colors as well, including this one for today's orange peel.


It came off the end of a strip of border fabric for Big Twinkle, because the border construction has begun!


And last but not least, meet Checkers the pig.  He's sweet, but a bit paranoid. 


He insists that he's being watched...




I'm linking with So Scrappy's ScrapHappy Saturday and Quilting is More Fun than Housework's Oh Scrap!  I can't imagine a better place to spend the weekend than checking out all the scrappy links they'll have.  Come join the fun!



23 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

Poor Chester, he really is being the centre of attention-all eyes on him. Great little brown blocks. Lots finished up this week.

Jennie in GA said...

Oh my, Checkers is my favorite yet. Of course everyone is watching him....he is so darned cute. Can't wait to see the border.

Ellen said...

I really like the old fashioned look in a quilt as well and I really like your blocks. I think I will have to add them to my list of blocks to make.

Chantal said...

Love your little blocks that don't stay flat. I haven't done Feb yet. Yikes!! Got my FMQ foot on the machine so no straight line sewing for the moment. Jack On Six is on my to-do list but not this year. It took me awhile to understand why Chester was so paranoid. LOL. Kept looking at the pig and never saw the background. I am more near sighted than I thought lol. Glad to hear you made it to your studio. Enjoy! ;^)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I actually threw open some windows today! Love the bitty blocks and the Jacks are a fabulous block.

Mystic Quilter said...

Actually I have a book with a photo of a quilt Hovering Hawks - exactly same pattern as your lovely brown blocks. I guess there are many different names around. Love the new piggie!!

Dasha said...

No wonder the poor little piggy is paranoid. Not only are all eyes on him, but you have broadcast his predicament to the Big Bad World. LOL Its a wonder he hasn't turned on his tail and run to hide. He is cute though.
You have a great bunch of blocks going there.

Kaja said...

Our weather is just the same - I try to make the most of the good days! You have got loads done: lovely brown blocks and the truly fantastic Chester.

Turid said...

Once more, I love your pig with the pink new painted ears. I'm already addicted to making these pigs.

Joansie said...

Gayle, it's been awhile since I have had time to read blogs. Thanks for leaving a comment on mine. Nice quilting! I just recently returned to quilting after purchasing a new machine embroidery/sewing machine. Nice reconnecting......I'm going to go check out your other posts.

Vicki in MN said...

You've been busy with some little ones-very nice!!

Linda said...

Love your tiny blocks, although they look big in the photos. ;) And I'm getting really attached to these pigs - Checkers is the BEST!

Sally Trude said...

I'm wondering if you taught the piglet the facts of life...like its not a good idea to wear barbeque sauce because it might put bad ideas in someone's head.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your piggy is such a hoot! I had to look closely to see that your background fabric has all those eyes! The 3 inch Ohio Stars are amazing - all those tiny pieces!

Kimberly Smith said...

Bad weather = stuck home sewing = bobbin half full! Slippery as snot? Makes one wonder how you know th e viscosity of snot underfoot, and that's not a pretty picture. LOL. Hovering hawks? We don't do those since we have a pet chicken. Tell Checkers it's not paranoia if they really are watching you. Will these pigs end up all penned together somehow?

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Sorry about your bad weather. Here it's wonderful so I will send it along your way! Checkers is adorable! And your 365 blocks are too cute for words. Yes, it will be bullit-proof indeed!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Checkers made me smile, too cute!

kmkat said...

Speaking of icy and slippery and broken bones -- we were speaking of that, weren't we? -- do you have a pair of Yak Traks or something similar? They are the salvation of gravity=challenged people like me. Unless I forget to put them on; then I fall on the ice that has formed between the front step and my car.

Angie said...

Count me as awed by the 3" Ohio Stars! They look amazing! I like that "Jacks" block, too. I once made a ginormous quilt using that block and a huge stash of cow-themed fabric. I could not stop sewing until I ran out of fabric! Stay safe - I have memories of how treacherous ice can be (lived in Charlottesville, VA for 4 years) - that's why my motto is "never live north of I-10"!

PaulaB quilts said...

Are those really 3-inch stars? Fantastic work. On my iPad I did not see the cat eyes on Checkers and my first thought was Nixon, until I enlarged the pic. Regardless, he is worth many second looks. Maybe he is blushing from the lady piggies all admiring him.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

3" stars? Are you kidding me? I am happily watching from the sidelines!

Thanks for sharing your blocks and Checkers with Oh Scrap!

Vic in NH said...

Beautiful blocks, as always! The little two-color brown and toast color blocks might be known as "Anvil" blocks, not sure and too lazy to look it up for you, LOL!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That piggy is kinda tripping me out at a little...