Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Stunned by a shawl

As I was cruising through blogland this morning, while pounding down coffee and trying to get a couple of brain cells to fire, I came upon a sight that literally took my breath away.
Fleegle's blog is the site of the sight. (I've now cited a sight site. Help me...) There's a wonderful story about the shawl, as well. Go, look, read!
Back so soon? I am stunned by the shawl itself, by the hard work and devotion of those who worked on it, and by the generosity of those same people in that they are going to provide the pattern as a freebie.
Wow.
I shot off a quick email to find out what kind of yardage was required, because my first thought, naturally was to spin the yarn for the shawl. (Because the only thing crazier than tackling this masterwork shawl would be to spin the yarn for it, too...)
Her reply? 6000 meters / 6562 yards.
That's roughly 4 miles of yarn.
I'd better start spinning. And I'm going to need a lot of batts...
.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole story is amazing and charming and wonderful.

Diane said...

Thanks so much for pointing this out. Queen Susan is lovely and I'd love the challenge of making it. What an amazing project.

Bullwinkle said...

wow.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm just stunned.

Laurie said...

What a remarkable story, on both ends of the centuries. That is just lovely. And I think you all are nuts. How can one person knit all that?? CLearly I don't have centuries of knitting experience under my belt to be able to say *pshaw* Piece of cake!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I love this story! thanks for linking to it. I really admire your gumption Gayle. I read it and thought OMG no WAY would I ever think about knitting something like it. You read it and thought "hmmm, how much do I need to spin...."

Cookie said...

Truly amazing. Thanks so much for the linkie!