Thursday, May 28, 2009

Don't count your chickens before they hatch...

Here's the other reason the early delivery was inconvenient:

We've been incubating a dozen eggs, trying to time them so we'd have chicks hatching at the same time as the ordered chicks arrived. That way we could raise them all up together in the early stages, and sort them out later.
If you look at the egg at the top of the picture, you'll see a "pip" - there's someone in there, trying to get out.
We tried incubating once before, but didn't get any chicks. I had to throw the eggs out on the compost pile. (I detonated a couple of the little sulphur-bombs out of curiosity. Nothing in them but plain ol' rotten egg.)
So even if we don't get any chicks, we're still pretty pumped that we got this far...

On a sad note, I've had some bad family news. More when I know more.

3 comments:

Anna M said...

Oh no! Hugs just because.

pacalaga said...

I hope all turns out well.

Laurie said...

More hugs from here, too.